Re: Offline Instant Message Delivery

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Offline Instant Message Delivery

[ Edited ]

This support page suggest that instant messages sent by Skype will be delivered to addressees when they're next online if they're off at the time of sending when sent via a Mac. (This page looks like a generic guide to the same though my guess is that it's probably for Windows.)  What isn't clear is whether it is possible to communicate so between the Windows and Mac versions.  (You would think so but never ASS-U-ME as you might make an ASS et cetera.)  It seems not as I don't get the messages that my wife sends me from a Windows Vista box when I'm offline and she doesn't get mine from my Mac when the reverse is the case.  (We both run the corresponding latest versions.)  The first paragraph here suggests the feature was pulled within weeks of version 5 coming out (for which platform it doesn't say) but given the guidance pages linked to above you wouldn't think that was the case.  (Then again Skype support is a bit of a bad joke.)  So, I'd like to know if it works and to what extent - i.e. on some or all three computer platforms.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Looks like that support page is out-of-date and needs to be corrected.

IM's will defiinitely work between Windows & Mac running Skype.  I'm a Windows guy and I IM with Contacts using Macs all the time.  iPhones and iPads too.  But Skype hasn't had offline message storage in a while.  The way it works now both contacts have to be online at the same time for a message to be delivered.

If you send a message to a contact who is offline, it will be stored by Skype on your device and sent to the recipient next time you are both online simultaneously.

I've pointed out that support page to Skype.

View solution in original post
HarryTheBustard
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 22 (28,144 Views)

[ Edited ]

Looks like that support page is out-of-date and needs to be corrected.

IM's will defiinitely work between Windows & Mac running Skype.  I'm a Windows guy and I IM with Contacts using Macs all the time.  iPhones and iPads too.  But Skype hasn't had offline message storage in a while.  The way it works now both contacts have to be online at the same time for a message to be delivered.

If you send a message to a contact who is offline, it will be stored by Skype on your device and sent to the recipient next time you are both online simultaneously.

I've pointed out that support page to Skype.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 2 of 22 (28,004 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for letting me (and others) know.  (I was aware of the platform-interoperability, by the way, but not on this speciifc issue.)  So, my point about Skype support was justified - as was my recent donation to Wikipedia.  Now if only they had a decent issue tracking system as covered here - not to mention a development roadmap.

0 Kudos
HarryTheBustard
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (27,997 Views)

The Skype developers do have another feedback system that (I think :wink: ) they read.  It's here:  https://jira.skype.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

In the meantime, I alerted a couple of contacts at Skype to that out-of-date support page. They said it was indeed overlooked and would be corrected.  Thanks for pointing it out. 

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 22 (27,992 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks again.  I knew about and have used the feedback service mentioned three times in relation to 2.8 - and given time will raise further issues that I have with the current version.  (Oddly there is no mention of any version above 5.1 on the Change Log and Versions pages there - though 5.3, which is current, and the beta 5.4 can be seen on the page linked to under Summary.)  As mentioned in my linked post there's no such service for mobile platforms and that's plainly stupid.  I've got a slew of issues to raise about the iPhone - a howling one of which I raised and another verified simply being ignored and then swept away when Skype Forums were replaced.  (They are no longer available - not even via Google's caching service.)  Thankfully I kept a copy of it and will resubmit it in the relevant area here.  Again, though, a proper service is needed.  Still, I digress and don't want to get off topic - especially as this one is now closed.  Then again I can feel a Jira request for offline messaging coming on.

HarryTheBustard
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (27,984 Views)

Offline messaging caused a several day long world wide system crash last year.  That resulted in that feature going away.  I have no idea if Skype is planning to ever bring it back again but if I see your post on Jira, I will chime in that I'd like offline messaging back too. 

Good luck.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 22 (27,975 Views)

Is there a timeout limit to the amount of time the message remains stored waiting the other side to come online?
0 Kudos
phobik
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 22 (26,710 Views)

Yes, there is a timeout, after the timeout the messag will be market with an exclamation mark icon. The tooltip text saying "Message could not be delivered". I'm not sure about the exact timeout though. I guess it's 7 days.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12599
Message 8 of 22 (26,672 Views)

thanks for reply
0 Kudos
phobik
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 22 (26,654 Views)

Yes I agree with you.. bringing back offline messaging would be in fact a great idea. I've been sent messages while offline and was not able to receive them for like a whole week because it did not coincide that we were both online. I believe it is stupid that they have removed this feature.
Thank you.
Smily
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 10 of 22 (25,688 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling