Re: New update for mac quits unexpectedly just aft...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

New update for mac quits unexpectedly just after sign in...

[ Edited ]

Note that Skype "quits unexpectedly", NOT crashes my computer. And then a notice appears letting me know this. It is followed by the relevant data string in the "details". I have installed it fresh, deleted the application support folder, "Skype", deleted the preferences file, "com.skype.skype...", I am running the latest software on mac OS X, and it still quits unexpectedly just after sign in. Anyone?

In case it helps: "Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread"

Likewise running OS 10.6.8

It even did the same thing when I installed a previous version... 5.4.0.1771 after complete uninstall.

Cazw
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I just did an online chat with Skype customer service, who gave me the following instructions for how to completely remove Skype from my Mac.  

After I followed the instructions and wiped Skype from my Mac, I then went to the Skype website and downloaded the latest version of Skype for Mac.  I noticed that this download version was called 5.7.59.1037.  Now Skype is working for me again.

Here's how customer service told me to wipe Skype from my Mac.  (By the way, step 1 is to quit Skype.  However, because I couldn't open Skype anymore--I kept getting a message saying that Skype had quit unexpectedly--I couldn't be sure whether I had quit Skype.  Customer service told me to skip step 1 and go straight to step 2.)

Here are the customer service instructions:

There are several reasons that could cause Skype to crash or fail to start up. Please follow the steps below to try and solve the problem.

To complete a clean installation of Skype:

1. Quit Skype.
  2. Open your Applications folder and drag Skype to the trash.
  3. Open Finder.  Navigate to Home > Library > Application > Support and drag the Skype folder to the trash. If you need to keep your chat and call history, you can skip this step.
  4. Open Finder.  Navigate to Home > Library > Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
  5. Open Finder and search for Skype. Move all results to the trash.
  6. Ctrl-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
  7. Restart your computer.

If you are still having problems try to change the default text-to-speech voice on your Mac: 

1. Go to System Preferences and open the Speech pane.
  2. Select Text to Speech and change the System Voice to anything else besides the selection you currently have.

You can also try disabling Voice Over assistance.

To disable Voice Over:

1. Go to System Preferences > Universal Access.
  2. Turn Voice Over off. 

Note that the minimum system requirements for Skype for Mac OS X are:

• 1GHz Intel processor
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer 
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 40MB Free disk space.

We are also aware of a problem with a sound enhancement software called Hear, which is developed by a third party company. You can uninstall Hear from your system, if you have it installed, as this may help:
(http://www.joesoft.com/products/hear.php

Finally, Mac comes with many pre-installed fonts, some of which may become corrupt causing Skype to crash: 
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2509

To check a font for possible corruption:

1. Open Font Book by selecting it in Finder > Go > Applications and clicking it.
  2. Select the font you suspect is corrupt from the Font column in the Font Book application and choose Validate Font from the Action menu.
  3. The Font Validation window will open, showing if the font passed or shows problems. 

If there is a corrupted font, use a utility like Font Finagler to delete the font cache:
http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/

Note: We are not responsible for external websites and the contents could change without notice.

View solution in original post
inqunknown
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 24 (31,501 Views)

Re: New update for mac quits unexpectedly just after sign in...

The same thing is happening to me since I loaded the skype update this evening.  In case it makes a difference, I have OS X 10.6.8.  

0 Kudos
Cazw
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 24 (31,451 Views)

I don't even get the chance to sign in. Skype just quits.
Fear is the mind killer.
0 Kudos
chinajon6
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 24 (31,449 Views)

Yes, I don't get to sign in either before Skype quits.
0 Kudos
Cazw
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 24 (31,446 Views)

Mmhm. Same. "Disk I/O error. Quit and restart Skype. If you keep seeing this error, please contact Skype customer support." I've already uninstalled/reinstalled. Running 10.6.8

0 Kudos
Petermh
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 24 (31,426 Views)

Re HOW TO FIX: New update for mac quits unexpectedly just after sign in...

[ Edited ]

I just did an online chat with Skype customer service, who gave me the following instructions for how to completely remove Skype from my Mac.  

After I followed the instructions and wiped Skype from my Mac, I then went to the Skype website and downloaded the latest version of Skype for Mac.  I noticed that this download version was called 5.7.59.1037.  Now Skype is working for me again.

Here's how customer service told me to wipe Skype from my Mac.  (By the way, step 1 is to quit Skype.  However, because I couldn't open Skype anymore--I kept getting a message saying that Skype had quit unexpectedly--I couldn't be sure whether I had quit Skype.  Customer service told me to skip step 1 and go straight to step 2.)

Here are the customer service instructions:

There are several reasons that could cause Skype to crash or fail to start up. Please follow the steps below to try and solve the problem.

To complete a clean installation of Skype:

1. Quit Skype.
  2. Open your Applications folder and drag Skype to the trash.
  3. Open Finder.  Navigate to Home > Library > Application > Support and drag the Skype folder to the trash. If you need to keep your chat and call history, you can skip this step.
  4. Open Finder.  Navigate to Home > Library > Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
  5. Open Finder and search for Skype. Move all results to the trash.
  6. Ctrl-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
  7. Restart your computer.

If you are still having problems try to change the default text-to-speech voice on your Mac: 

1. Go to System Preferences and open the Speech pane.
  2. Select Text to Speech and change the System Voice to anything else besides the selection you currently have.

You can also try disabling Voice Over assistance.

To disable Voice Over:

1. Go to System Preferences > Universal Access.
  2. Turn Voice Over off. 

Note that the minimum system requirements for Skype for Mac OS X are:

• 1GHz Intel processor
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer 
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 40MB Free disk space.

We are also aware of a problem with a sound enhancement software called Hear, which is developed by a third party company. You can uninstall Hear from your system, if you have it installed, as this may help:
(http://www.joesoft.com/products/hear.php

Finally, Mac comes with many pre-installed fonts, some of which may become corrupt causing Skype to crash: 
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2509

To check a font for possible corruption:

1. Open Font Book by selecting it in Finder > Go > Applications and clicking it.
  2. Select the font you suspect is corrupt from the Font column in the Font Book application and choose Validate Font from the Action menu.
  3. The Font Validation window will open, showing if the font passed or shows problems. 

If there is a corrupted font, use a utility like Font Finagler to delete the font cache:
http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/

Note: We are not responsible for external websites and the contents could change without notice.

Cazw
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 24 (31,370 Views)

i do all the thinngs as just like you said, but still i have the problems (quit unexpectedly) after i open my contacts. please..i need serious help here.
Posted from Amazon D01400
andhika216
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 24 (28,870 Views)

Re: Re HOW TO FIX: New update for mac quits unexpectedly just after sign in...

ME TOO please please please help me my skype still says quit unexpectedly
bionic100000
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 24 (28,059 Views)

Re: Re HOW TO FIX: New update for mac quits unexpectedly just after sign in...

Hi,

Skype stoped working only with msn account. No problem with my regular account. When I go in Finder, Home, there is no Library to be found. So I can't do all steps to erase Skype. 

If someone could help me, thank you.

0 Kudos
GuyHere
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 24 (23,723 Views)

This is ridiculous. How can this be considered a fix? 

I've deleted, reinstalled, searched fonts, and nothing has changed. Skype mysteriously won't open, when it was working perfectly yesterday.

carlh
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 24 (23,661 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling