My built in webcam wont connect to skype.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

My built in webcam wont connect to skype.

My macbook built in webcam wont connect with the new verzion of skype. WHY? it works in iphoto booth, and everything else, just not skype! HELP!

kvammeday
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 19 (14,480 Views)

Re: My built in webcam wont connect to skype.

Be certain that no other video-enabled applications are running when you try to use the camera with Skype.  Macs don't like to share, and only one video-enabled app can run at a time, AFAIK.

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 330
Message 2 of 19 (14,474 Views)

nothing else is running off the webcam. i have tried updating, reinstalling, restarting the whole computer. nothing works. apple says everything is working fine and its a skype problem. 

0 Kudos
kvammeday
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 19 (14,466 Views)

kvammeday  Re: My built in webcam wont connect to skype.

Please have a quick look in Skype Preferences. 
Select the (6th) Audio/Video option in Preferences.
Here, Skype will try to activate all your in- and out methods.
(camera & microphone).

If everything is working here, it should work in a live-conversation as well.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
skakskype
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 62
Message 4 of 19 (14,434 Views)

Yeah, right... I have two of them - one in MBP and the other in the display... Both get recognized in preferences but test box remains black and no video comes out of the box... Interestingly - same problem with MSN... Is there a connection? :robotmad:

0 Kudos
Sunkazoo
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 5 of 19 (14,416 Views)

Maybe there is a connection to the MSN-problem

I am unable to test this theory, because only one camera here - but maybe MSN & Skype gets confused by two cameras.

Please tell me; how does MSN & Skype react if you unplug the external monitor (with built-in camera)?

Skak

0 Kudos
skakskype
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 62
Message 6 of 19 (14,397 Views)

Hi! I have the same problem..no camera just a black box.. and on top of that no outgoing voice, it seems the internal microphone is not working either..It worked before I updated to the latest OS..

0 Kudos
belle123
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 19 (14,388 Views)

Skak,

theory tested and... busted... Skype can recognize either of them but can not use neither of them :wink: Testbox just remains black... (see attachments) Connection is done through the displays USB port... Maybe there's the catch :wink:

Interestingly - if I try to run Facetime or Photobooth over the Skype, camera instantly turns on...

0 Kudos
Sunkazoo
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (14,372 Views)

Belle,

mike should work just fine... Go to System Preferences>Sound>Input and check your input device there... Also go to Skype>Preferences>Audio/Video and do the same check...

(see attachment)

0 Kudos
Sunkazoo
Routine Adventurer
Message 9 of 19 (14,369 Views)

well it works on all other apps. and all other apps are closed. its only my video that isnt working on skype. its only skype. i think its a skype problem....
kvammeday
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 19 (14,366 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling