MacBook Pro Retina - camera no longer working on S...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

MacBook Pro Retina - camera no longer working on Skype

[ Edited ]

As of today my camera stopped working on Skype. When I start a video call I get the camera icon on the bottom with a fat red line through it.

In Skype Preferences under Audio/Video I can see camera in the selection menu ("FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in") but the video window beneath is black.

The camera works fine on PhotoBooth and on FaceTime.

I've even tried installing older versions of Skype, thinking it might be the newes update, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Oilbert
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

The camera is working again!!!

I think I may have found the problem. It could have been the Address Book. I had been updating some photos for contacts and since that feature also lets you access the camera to take a pic of yourself for your own contact info (because I might forget what I look like and then at least Address Book can remind me!) that may have blocked the camera. 

Be that as it may, I have my camera back!

Thanks for your time!

View solution in original post
0 Kudos
Oilbert
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 11 (10,899 Views)

Re: MacBook Pro Retina - camera no longer working on Skype

Close all three programmes, PhotoBooth, FaceTime and Skype. Restart Skype only and you should have your video back. Both FaceTime and PhotoBooth hog the video and Skype doesn't get a look in if they're running beside it.
rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 156
Message 2 of 11 (10,875 Views)

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, neither FaceTime nor Photobooth were actually running when the the problem occurred. I've also reinstalled Skype (having also deleted all the settings files in Library) and started up from scratch (again without FaceTime or PhotoBooth) and the camera is still not being activated. So I hope there's something else I could try...

0 Kudos
Oilbert
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (10,862 Views)

Camera working again.

I think I may have found the problem. It could have been the Address Book. I had been updating some photos for contacts and since that feature also lets you access the camera to take a pic of yourself for your own contact info (because I might forget what I look like and then at least Address Book can remind me!) that may have blocked the camera. 

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Oilbert
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 11 (10,859 Views)

I have the exact same problem, but I cannot fix it!  Help!

0 Kudos
auliadees
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 11 (9,256 Views)

Re: Camera working again.

That's a new one, well caught! :happy:

Oilbert wrote:

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 156
Message 6 of 11 (9,237 Views)

This from a fellow traveller on another strand:

Try this: open ichat and go to preferences, Audio/Video and unclick "automatically open ichat when external camera is turned on". Quit ichat, quit and restart skype.

Skype really should make this easier to find. I found it in the forum, the guy who offered it had found it on a Chinese forum. And Skype really should monitor the community and offer help rather than letting people flounder

martinakeeley
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 7 of 11 (6,137 Views)

For those of you running VMWare Fusion on your Mac beware that your VMs will connect to your camera by default when they start up. Once your VM starts, no more Facetime, Skype, etc.

I am a developer and run a few Windows VMs on my Mac.

To avoid this, look in the settings of each of your VMs under "USB & Bluetooth". Make sure the "Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)" is disconnected. As soon as you do this, your camera will be released and you can use it again.

123lamename
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 11 (6,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

To Martinakeeley,

Brilliant! Going to ichat and following your instructions worked right away.  I agree that Skype should make this information available to its users.  Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
codyjuan
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (4,234 Views)

For those of you running VMWare Fusion on your Mac beware that your VMs will connect to your camera by default when they start up. Once your VM starts, no more Facetime, Skype, etc.

I am a developer and run a few Windows VMs on my Mac.

To avoid this, look in the settings of each of your VMs under "USB & Bluetooth". Make sure the "Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)" is disconnected. As soon as you do this, your camera will be released and you can use it again.

this fixed me up !!!!

0 Kudos
rooonick98
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (3,302 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling