Downloading in a foreign country

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Downloading in a foreign country

I am trying to download skype onto my Mac, but no matter how many links I go through or how I try to get to it, I can't get the download page to come up in English... because I am in Prague it will only come up in Czech. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
fstdraft
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (1,266 Views)

Re: Downloading in a foreign country

There are two options, which I am not sure would work.

1. At the bottom of this page, look at the Get Skype and click on Mac, is it in English?

2. If you can find the download link on the page in another language, download the Skype client and then using Tools -> Change Language ("If you can find that as well") swicth to English.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 7 (1,259 Views)

One more possibility if TheUberOverLord's suggestions don't work: Open Language & Text in System Preferences. Drag English to the top of the list. A restart may be necessary. Then do the download. Afterward, you'll have switch back to Czech. Not an elegant solution, but it might work. I hope. :happy:
Preminger
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 7 (1,253 Views)

1. At the bottom of the Skype website, you can find a dropdown menu.  Just click the arrow icon and select English

2. or try to enter the link below in your browser;

-skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1661
Message 4 of 7 (1,249 Views)

I have the exact same problem, I am in Saudi Arabia and I want to install Skype on my work computer.  I speak English and a bit of Spanish, no Arabic.  Every time I try and download, even if I am on an English language page immediately before I start the download process, the download and install page defaults to Arabic with no options to change it.

I don't read Arabic so I can't navigate the page to get Skype so I can change the language preferences, and I would have to have my personal laptop (with Skype) on side-by-side so I could find that page in the first place.  Saudi Arabia filters their Internet feeds so I can't access an IP spoofer to 'fool' the Skype downloader into thinking I am in the US.

Skype could fix this by adding a multilingual selection field where you can pick the language for the menu, web interface, and Skype version rather than FORCING you to take a version based on what they think you need.  No one likes being forced, it's rude.

paulpvegas
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 7 (1,154 Views)

I have the same problem, I'm in Tunisia and promised to Skype relatives on Xmas day, but I can't get a download page in English or anything other than Arabic, which I obviously can't read. This is a massive oversight, and it's pretty crappy that over a year after the original question, no-one from Skype has even offered a solution... just the link to the page is all I need! How am I supposed to select a language from a menu I can't even understand?
0 Kudos
dj-1917
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 7 (666 Views)

Using the following link, if you were to scroll to the bottom of the page you should be able to choose the language version you prefer: http://beta.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mac/downloading/

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
0 Kudos
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 342
Message 7 of 7 (661 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling