Can't connect. Check network settings.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

I was using Skype for months with no problems on my macbook. Suddenly, I am unable to connect.  I didn't upgrade or change anything.  I'm running MacOSX 10.6.4 and using Skype 5.30.0.1074.

I get the following error message:

I've deleted and reinstalled Skype several times.

I've searched for every Skype file and directory on my hard drive and deleted them

I've deleted shared.xml over and over.

I can otherwise access the internet without problems.

I am a USA resident currently interning in Germany if it makes a difference.

Any solutions?

Can someone suggest a debug path?

jdarago
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 13
Message 1 of 24 (26,133 Views)

Re: Can't connect. Check network settings.

Same problem here.

New version of skype was installed fresh on a 10.6.8 machine.  we are behind a proxy server.  Proxy logs never even show Skype attempting to cpnnect.  It appears the latest version of Skype (5.3.0.1074) does not know how to communicate to the proxy srver.

Have checked/confirmed proxy settings for OS

Have checked/confirmed proxy settings for browser

There are know settings for configuring the proxy server in the UI so is there a way to imbed this in the plist file or the shared.xml file?

oepirate
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 24 (25,869 Views)

Hi,

Being sure your status is set to "Online" ?

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.9.4
Skype 6.19.0.450
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1131
Message 3 of 24 (25,858 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I definitely have a network connection as everything else on my imac OS X is working fine.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of skype and always get the same "Please check your network settings and try again" message.  I even disabled my firewall with no success.

I'm very frustrated.  Skype works fine on my macbook pro.

Any suggestions are welcome.  

0 Kudos
MLS
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 24 (25,756 Views)

NEW TO MAC AND SKYPE.  DOWNLOADED LATEST VERSION AND INSTALLED IT. THEN I PAID $85 CDN AFTER A 25% DISCOUNT.

I TRIED TO MAKE A CALL BUT WAS THEN TOLD I NEEDED TO BUY CREDIT.  SO I PAID ANOTHER $14 CDN AND SAID YES TO THE REGULAR TOP UP OPTION.

TRIED TO MAKE A CALL. I AM TOLD THAT THE NUMBER DOES NOT EXIST,  I RE-ENTERED IT AS A STRING WITH NO SPACES  SAME MESSAGE

TRIED 1PLUS STRING                     SAME MESAGE

WENT ON  LINE TO MAC BLOG ONLY TO LEARN THAT THIS NEW VERSION A) CAN NOT WORK IF I AM TRYING TO USE IT ON A PRIVATE WIRELESS NETWORK (TEMPORARY APARTMENT WITH EXCELLENT WIRELESS ACCES)  AND B) IT NOW CHARGES BY THE MINUTE

SO I CALLED MASTERCARD TO BLOCK THE SALE ONLY TO LEARN THAT I WOULD HAVE TO CANCEL THE ENTIRE CARD AND WAIT TO BE ISSUED A NEW CARD 7-10 DAYS.

I HAVE USED SKYPE IN CHINA VIETNAM THE US AND ACROSS CANADA  ALBEIT ON MY PC.  I AM AWAY FROM HOME FOR SIX WEEKS WITHOUT A CONNECTION. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF THIS IS ALSO A PROBLEM FOR MY PC.

I AM ONLINE AS I WRITE THIS.  IS THIS MY PROBLEM, A SKYPE ISSUE OR A MAC  ISSUE? OR IS JUST MY INTRODUCTION TO THE NEW BUSINESS MODEL?  ANY INSIGHT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

0 Kudos
PMM
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 24 (25,741 Views)

Sorry if I post without any solutions to provide, but this is big issue...Im very curious how many of us have this problem. What's our mac model? Mine is iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz..... let's compare
0 Kudos
greenolivia
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 24 (25,657 Views)

I just downloaded the free version of Skype on my MacBook Pro and it won't connect. My MAC is version 10.6.8 Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 17. It looks as though it will open and then it stops. I never get to any windows or anything. Is that what you are experiencing.

0 Kudos
bondgirl-007
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 24 (25,648 Views)

Hi,

I have a Mac and getting the same response, check network settings. Everything else works fine on my machine. Any ideas out there? I am running OS X on a dual core 2 duo, 2Ghz. I too have loadaed and deleterd and reloaded Skype with no luck.

0 Kudos
joltinjoe123
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 24 (25,443 Views)

I think i found the problem. I was keep trying 3 hours to get this thing work. It was working yesterday and not today. it keep saying that i have problem with my network settings. but  my other network applications work fine.

try this steps 

01. Remove skype app from your computer (please note your user name and the password)

02.  Remove the preference from the Mac (USER---> Application support/Skype and Preference ----> skype)

03. Go to oldapps.com and download older version of skype (i tried with 2.7/2.:cool:

04. install it and see, (for me it was working)

0 Kudos
applelakshan
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 24 (24,959 Views)

If it is any consolation, I have the exact same problem. Worked for months with Skype v.5.3.0.1093, MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8. A few days ago, Skype would not connect- check network settings, as if I were not connected to internet. All other internet connections working fine. I changed nothing on my computer or internet settings.

0 Kudos
malikaduggan
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 24 (24,937 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling