Re: webcam problems using skype with ubuntu 12.04 ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

webcam problems using skype with ubuntu 12.04 lts

Has anyone else had problems with this? Do you know a list of webcams that work and those that don't? And more psecifically has anyone had a webcam that works with vlc for example but not with skype?

Stilton-cheese
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 3 (264 Views)

Re: webcam problems using skype with ubuntu 12.04 lts

Remmeber that you are using linux... that means a lot of google reseach

the most common problem with skype in ubuntu is that microsoft doesn't want it to work...

try this

• apt-get remove skype

• apt-get autoremove

and then

sudo apt-add-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner" sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install skype

This will install it from canonical directly

extra info

the main problem is something related with the libraries "libv4l", that control the frame rate and quality. Microsoft just want it to have problems in Linux... as simple as that

kastanedowski
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 3 (215 Views)

Re: webcam problems using skype with ubuntu 12.04 lts

Thanks for the advice but it didn't work on my computer. I got an error message when I ran the last command.

Stilton-cheese
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 3 (196 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling