how to install skype on a chromebook

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to install skype on a chromebook

i just bought a google chromebook. i have no idea how to download skype on it i need hlep please

rebelboy91
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 54
Message 1 of 68 (125,955 Views)

Re: how to install skype on a chromebook

rebelboy91,

Skype comes as a pre-installed application on the google chromebook. If you don't see it you can download it from google chrome webstore.

Hope this helps.

rz-sky
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 2 of 68 (125,896 Views)

my google chromebook does not come with skype..an i looked into it n i've found out there is no skype for google chromebook

rebelboy91
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 54
Message 3 of 68 (125,822 Views)

I have looked on the chrome store a billion times and havent once found a skype app. I have found something to see hidden friends but not Skype itsself.

turtlebug2013
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 68 (125,522 Views)

You are all right. I was mistaken, they are working on a working skype version on google chromebook. There is a work around though but do not think you can vmake voice calls but can video chat (I have not tested this but thought I could pass the information along).

https://plus.im I was able to sign in successfully with this. Other work arounds include microsoft's outlook.com that has skype integration and skypeface that you can use to make calls. All can be downloaded at the webstore. I have attached a link here webstore.

Hope this helps and sorry for the added confusion earlier.

rz-sky
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 5 of 68 (125,448 Views)

there is no Skype app to download in the Chrome store

tdw
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 6 of 68 (123,449 Views)

Quite frankly this is a mess because of macho posturing from Microsoft and Google trying to show who has the biggest **bleep**. For **bleep**s sake somebody bang their heads together and get a resolution.
Thank you Colin
Posted from Google Nexus 4
ColinKay
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 7 of 68 (116,674 Views)

Google has a similar product called GoogleVoice but I don't think it is a available worldwide as Skype.  I suspect MS and G are not playing nice so you will likely need to use GoogleVoice.  It is free to make US-US calls through 1/1/14

ABQJim
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 68 (114,548 Views)

i know right! my mom got it for me for christmas and i dont know how to install it i need help! :sad:

Hamster10101aj
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 68 (109,413 Views)

When exactly will Skype be realeased on a Chomebook? 

Joe_Sweeting123
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 10 of 68 (105,258 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling