Re: how to install skype on a chromebook

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing Skype on Chromebook

[ Edited ]

i have an acer C7 Chromebook and im trying to download skype. i cant figure it out..help?

violet94
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 21 of 91 (13,015 Views)

I have Skype on my ChromeBokk.  

I followed the earlier instruction to register with https://plus.im and then linked it to my Skype account. I was able to sign in successfully with this.

ChrisGooden
Novel Adventurer
Message 22 of 91 (11,982 Views)

this is why i dont like chrome, because i never liked linux, ChromeOS (the OS for chromebooks) was a simple build off linux, they put absolutely no effort into it and thats why people abuse the **bleep** out of it, especially all the old linux "hackers"

AggrO
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 23 of 91 (11,604 Views)

Everytime i try and download it it says its not suppored.

AlisaSixx
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 24 of 91 (11,173 Views)

<3

sashamacklin
Novel Tourist
Message 25 of 91 (10,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

My fix for this problem is to install ubuntu on my chromebook along side the chrome os, here is a link on how to do it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-[removed for privacy]

(This first link keeps getting killed so just google ubuntu for chromebook and look for the lifehacker . com website)

Then once you are in ubuntu download and install skype from within ubuntu, the version you will want to select is Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch). Here's the link:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/ 

This works perfectly and also fixes other limitations of chromebooks such as being able to run a full office application called libre which allows opening and creation of microsoft office documents for free. I hope this helps everyone.

kansaman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 26 of 91 (10,258 Views)

No it doesnt because u cant get skype on the store it comes up voice changer and everything.

Igotswaguhavent
Novel Tourist
Message 27 of 91 (10,145 Views)

rz-sky wrote:

rebelboy91,

Skype comes as a pre-installed application on the google chromebook. If you don't see it you can download it from google chrome webstore.

Hope this helps.

No, it doesn't come pre-installed, and if you look for it it says that Skype is not currently supported on chromebooks.

special-things
Novel Tourist
Message 28 of 91 (10,028 Views)

:sad:     please can you put skype on the chrome books

tank you

christopher1hrs
Casual Tourist
Message 29 of 91 (8,930 Views)

First question - who are you asking?

Second question - Skype is owned by Microsoft, ChromeBook is Google.  Would you expect Chevrolet to fit Ford seats in their cars?  Or Air India to wear Virgin uniforms?

ChrisGooden
Novel Adventurer
Message 30 of 91 (8,905 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling