Skype 4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 crashes and logs me out

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype 4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 crashes and logs me out

Have recently installed Skype 4.0, got round to using it for the first time today. Works fine for a while, then randomly crashes and logs me out of my desktop. When I log back in and relaunch Skype, the same happens but this time after a few seconds.

lolwhites
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 18 (10,039 Views)

Re: Skype 4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 crashes and logs me out

Same thing happening for me. Kindly look into the issue

tejinder
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 18 (9,931 Views)

I am having the same issue, please resolve.

ackimwilliams
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (9,690 Views)

Hi! i have the same problem after installing NVIDIA Driver!!!:sad:

anisdray
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 18 (9,561 Views)

It happens to me too, it's systematic after a few minutes of video talk.

With Ubuntu 12.04 and Skype 4.0.

The interface crashes and I'm back to login.

On trying to share the screen, it crashed almost instantly.

Guess I'll have to use skype on windows... sigh.

Xen123456
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 18 (9,475 Views)

[ Edited ]

This same issue JUST started happening to me today. Ubuntu 12.04, Skype 4.0. Using Nvidia card on t510 laptop.

cfay
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 18 (9,398 Views)

Xubuntu 12.04 AMD64, with Firefox 15.0:

Using the login on the site / forums doesn't prompt for password, even though it's in the manager and it must be entered manually every time; Uploading an avatar crashes, as there are Flash problems (of course Chrome, Chromium works, but Firefox is the real browser)

Skype doesn't work and it hasn't worked. I actually managed to install it once (somehow), using a PPA and something else, but never again since then.

For Windows, there are no problems, but you've gotta get with the program here. Another nice option would be to make the protocol open, so that we can use one of the cool messengers, like Pidgin or Miranda.

P.S.

~20MB is huge for other messengers (including GTK, or whatever), but Skype alone is minimum three times as big. I neither want, nor need that code; just the messenger, pls, tnx.

v1adimir
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 18 (9,393 Views)

Hi all!

1- After a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install the first thing to do is update the repository cache and packages you have installed (by default or custom (if you did)). You can start the update manager (and click on ‘install update’) or just open a terminal/shell (Ctrl+Alt+t) and execute these commands to get the task done:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If you do not have an Nvidia card, go directly to the step 3.

2- If you are using any graphics/video card or sound card or webcam then you must install the appropriate drivers/softwares for that. Ubuntu 12.04 can automatically detect graphics card and a pop-up window may appear with the suggestion but you need to make sure that you’re installing the right driver for the device.
For me i need to install Nvidia driver in order to enjoy the power of graphics card, in that case i can install manually, open a terminal/shell (Ctrl+Alt+t) and execute these commands
- First, install the necessary packages

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xserver-xorg-dev

- By default, Ubuntu uses a driver named nouveau, this driver will conflict when we install Nvidia driver.run, it is necessary to disable it. In the terminal type:

su #if you don't have a root permission In the terminal type: [sudp passwd root] and create a new password for the root
sudo echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
sudo echo "options nouveau modeset=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u

- Then restart your computer.
- Once the computer is restarted and logged in, you delete the Nvidia drivers (to avoid conflicts with the new), typing in the terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*

- Press (Ctrl+Alt+F1) to switch to console. Please login with your username and password usual.
- If you have Ubuntu, type:

sudo stop lightdm

- Go to the folder where you downloaded the driver (default ~/Downloads)

cd ~/Downloads

- Make the Nvidia script executable:

sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-*

- Run the nvidia script:

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-*

- The installation starts. Accept the license agreement displayed at the beginning (anyway, you don't have a choice) and follow the instructions (yes for all).
- restart

sudo reboot

3- Download the latest version of skype from the website and double click and install in Ubuntu Software Center:
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.8-1_i386.deb

Just be sure to install updates and drivers before installing skype.

good luck :happy:

anisdray
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 8 of 18 (9,372 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ anisdray

Thanks for the post / reply. Been there and done that. Everything is current and the drivers are correct. No custom installs, Skype does not work on a fresh (re)install (numerous - different crashes, notification area icon problems, etc.)

The reason I listed other trivial problems with the forum, was to attempt to illustrate the state of disarray that Skype seems to be in; & it would be nice to see some changes, if possible.

:happy:

v1adimir
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 18 (9,325 Views)

Same issue here.  Usually my video freezes first and I have to keep clicking to hide/unhide my video before it comes back.  Then a few minutes later it's done.  If I start it from the CLI all it says is that it aborted, core dumped.  Usually I get about 5 minutes before it crashes.

jason@SilverStone:~$ date
Mon Sep 3 18:41:50 PDT 2012
jason@SilverStone:~$ skype
Aborted (core dumped)
Aborted (core dumped)
^Z
[1]+ Stopped skype
jason@SilverStone:~$ date
Mon Sep 3 18:50:54 PDT 2012

oneshotuno
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 18 (9,262 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling