Skype 4.0 crashes on ubuntu 11.04 when I make a vi...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype 4.0 crashes on ubuntu 11.04 when I make a video call.

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, 32bit. Skype 4.0 works fine in chatting or one-way video call. But when I make 2-way video call, it crashes, logs me out or freezes with a black screen.

Does anyone have the same problem?

tunglam91
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (1,429 Views)

Re: Skype 4.0 crashes on ubuntu 11.04 when I make a video call.

I have the exact same problem.

Is there a fix for this?

Dean42
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 6 (1,284 Views)

same here, hope the elders of skype hear us
nickel741852
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 6 (1,110 Views)

I have been having the same problem on ubuntu 12.04 Bit.

The whole system crashes seconds after I enable two-way video calling. This is the only time I get a system wide crash in ubuntu having to log back in the system afterwards.

Also, when one-way video-calling the preview colors get misaligned resulting in a black and white image at best

I got a 2.5GHz dual core laptop with 4Gb of RAM and an Ati Radeon 3400 HD that can easily support 1080p video playback as well as gaming so it is not a spec issue.

No solution seems to be available. I have to say I am surprised that Microsoft is making life difficult for me even when I am not using their operating system.

Please stop ignoring us Linux users! We deserve Better!

goikongr
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 6 (875 Views)

Re: Skype 4.0 crashes on ubuntu 11.04 when I make a video call. (FIX)

Hey everyone well the only thing i can think of is downloading the addons in your package kit for me its kpackagekit make sure you have the correct plugins and before you do this go to your command screen and type (apt-get update) to make sure you have the most up todate files on your system this worked for me.

good luck.

iceman_tjf
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 6 (816 Views)

Re: Skype 4.0 crashes on ubuntu 11.04 when I make a video call. (FIX)

sorry forgot to add you will want to have the plugin (icedtea) installed if you dont already this will get rid of any java issues witch will help video playback in some cases
iceman_tjf
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 6 (813 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling