Re: Screen share using Linux?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screen share using Linux?

Will screen share work with a Linux machine?

How many people can be on that call at one time?

Thanks.

burningtruck
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (19,294 Views)

I can confirm that it work, but in some cases client see the double or triple sized image with wrong regions, need to restarting skype. :sad: In Gnome 3 the image at my desktop freezes.

May be such enviroments as Gnome 2 + Metacity, Unity 2D, XFCE, LXDE and so on be work well.

------------------------------------
From the west forests.
Lirein
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 9 (19,235 Views)

Good evening Lirein,

I've been doing some sniffing around and it looks like the only way I can get Skype to behave for screen sharing with more than one viewer is to use a Windows machine, sigh. Right now Skype screen share works about half the time.

I've tried lots of other programs for screen sharing on my Linux setup and have not yet found a good answer. The best so far has been Mikogo. Unfortunately they do not support a 64 bit system and that throws a wrench into my works.

To use a screen sharing program I will have to reluctantly use a Windows machine. I hope that changes some time soon.

Thanks for your reply.

John Teisberg

burningtruck
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (19,230 Views)

Hello! I've experienced screen sharing problems when using Gnome 3 (Gnome shell). Recently I switched to KDE 4.8.2 and screen sharing works just fine!

Greets Christian
chrila36
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 9 (19,208 Views)

You can get Skype to work with Linux, congratulations.

Having spent a weekend wrestling with Ubuntu 12.4 I'm off back to Windows, no more Mickey Mouse software for me.

southcliffe108
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (19,187 Views)

Yes it works, but sometimes it crashes and I don't have a clue why... I'm sure those bugs could be fixed easily by the developers, but there's no information whether linux support is being continued or not... what a pity :sad:

chrila36
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 9 (19,181 Views)

It used to work on my ubuntu 12.04   but now its stopped.   I've not been able to find out why,  just appear to be lots of other frustrated users with the sme problem.

Can we have a list of know working environments for Linux screen share

rcc30
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (11,650 Views)

Linux versions of Skype lag far behind windoze. There are now far better, bulit proof, faster, way more flexible (cross platform and cross protocol) and secure, open source and free alternatives to skype. It would be inappropriate to mention any here. ;-}

If you want reliable screen sharing under and operating system use VNC. It can be secured, configured read only or as a remote desktop, and importantly it works.

bradcan
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (6,549 Views)

I can share screen with a single person. When trying to share screen in a conference call of more than two participants the screen sharing options are being grayed out. Using Skype Skype 4.3.0.37 for Linux. Both the multiarch and 32bit behave the same. It is preposterous, that the development of a single software by a single company is divergent regarding different OS's to such an extend.

I'm interested in FOSS software for linux, windows and OS X, that allows me to share screen with multiple users. If anyone knows one - please put it in an answer.

@Microsoft Skype Development Team: Thumbs down to you!

julian_von_oz
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (733 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling