Re: Please tell the truth.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Has been a long time since the lastest release of Skype for linux... A mod answer would be nice right now

ignaciomenz
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 61 of 121 (4,786 Views)

[ Edited ]

How is it that even the Linux based Android platform gets updates? Hell, even Mac products are based on UNIX.

nimajecyrb
Casual Tourist
Message 62 of 121 (4,659 Views)

The M$ machine only cares about containing the losses. Balmer is a hyper-paranoid and worries that allowing other technologies that they don't own (they have owned 17% of Apple shares and it may be more by now - no one seems to know if they sold or not). UNIX and Linux have always been a threat and unlike others that recognize that when technology wins it floats all boats, M$ believes they need to control it all. It will lead to mediocrity in technology, but they don't care - clearly!
marspokane
Novel Tourist
Message 63 of 121 (4,567 Views)

I am uninstalling skype from all devices, windows and linux computers and my phone. google is the way forward and microsoft (named after their genitals) has failed to give the support it should. rip skype
oceancj
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 64 of 121 (4,541 Views)

I'm not here to rant.  Skype has been and will continue to be a valuable asset whenever I am away from home.  I am not likely to use Microsoft Windows again and neither will any of my family.  Please continue to provide me with the excellent service that Skype offers.  Yes, there is an alternative voip service I can use, but I like Skype and want to continue with it.  Please try to ensure that there is an Ubuntu package available for every upgrade.

urcminister
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 65 of 121 (4,524 Views)

[ Edited ]

Development hasn't stopped. We are still working towards the next update. Can't share an ETA though. We'll release "when it's done" :happy:

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10278
Message 66 of 121 (4,485 Views)

If, after a year or so of development, you still don't know when it's going to be finished (which implies that it will not be finished in the next few weeks), there is either a single poor programmer on this project, trying to build a completely new client, or it's what we call "vaporware".

mitterertux
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 67 of 121 (4,481 Views)

Thanks for finally giving some news after this long time of silence.  I hope we do not have to wait too long for the next release and I am looking forward to it:bigsmile:.  

I tend to feel sorry for developers who have to endeavour to have their software work on a wide variety of platforms.  I have just come across an article which gives background to this problem, it is at: http://www.datamation.com/open-source/fragmentation-on-the-linux-desktop-is-it-normal-1.html.  Keep up the good work, and I hope you do not get too many complaints with the release of the next version.

NoWorries
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 68 of 121 (4,435 Views)

We aren't interested with the ETA. We are intrested in why we have been without an update for so long.

u_abusebeercans
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 69 of 121 (4,413 Views)

Of course we all want to know why they didn't give give us updates when updates for Win and Mac came out. However, I am very interested in the ETA, because I want to know how long they want to let us wait for the new version.
mitterertux
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 70 of 121 (1,980 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling