re-enabling multiple instances

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

re-enabling multiple instances

A while ago I was able to run multiple skype clients from the same desktop environment and session. I'm currently unable to do this. I'm not sure what has changed. I may have updated skype.

I'm currently running skype 4.0.0.8 on ubuntu 12.04, under KDE.

Previously, I just started skype from a menu, logged in, and then started skype again from the menu to enable a second instance. Currently, the second time I attempt to start skype, nothing happens.

I've tried doing the same thing from the commandline. Again, the first time I enter the command 'skype' it starts normally. The second time, nothing happens and the prompt just returns. Checking my processes, I can see that there is only one instance of skype running.

How do I enable multiple instances of skype?

mantispalm
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 6 (1,289 Views)

Re: re-enabling multiple instances

I have the same problem.

Can anyone provide a solution?

I've tried to run Skype in "multiple instances" mode like in Windows (skype /secondary). But  it slill runs just one instance...

0 Kudos
rdragan
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 6 (1,235 Views)

Does anyone at Skype or MS monitor this blog?

I would add that it would also be VERY handy on Android 4+ and iOS

bpye
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 6 (1,177 Views)

Try passing the option "--secondary" on command line.

0 Kudos
DaStoned
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 6 (1,120 Views)

Hi,

I'm running 4.0.0.8 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Gnome3.

I was able to start multiple instances doing:

1. instance 1 - open skype normally

2. instance 2 - open console a run skype with sudo password.

I hope that this work for you.

Regards

0 Kudos
pjcrafael
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 6 (994 Views)

See "startup-double.sh" from http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-4-0-0-8-Dynamic-at-Debian-Wheezy-i386-Linux-3-2-0-3-686/m-...

Create script file "skype-double" with above code, make it's executable and put to same folder where is a "skype"... Change LIBV4L and QT_PLUGIN_PATH to point 32-bit library / 32-bit Qt4 plugin folder.

0 Kudos
stozher
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 6 of 6 (974 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling