crackling sound in Debian Sid 64bit

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

crackling sound in Debian Sid 64bit

In current Debian Sid / Wheezy, Skype sound output through pulseaudio is crackling and audio input is outright atrocious, i.e. crackling in the extreme. All other sound applications work just fine.

At the same time, sound in Debian Squeeze is ok and to my surprise, it also works well in current Ubuntu. So there must be some specific reason why Skype misbehaves on Sid / Wheezy.

My ~/.asoundrc goes:

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

So Skype uses pulseaudio, however, the result is very disappointing...

jrohr
Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 3 (3,087 Views)

Re: crackling sound in Debian Sid 64bit

I am having a similar problem and the last version not to cause the problem on both Linux mint 12 and debian testing for me is 2.1.0.81
0 Kudos
krsoulsby
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 3 (2,663 Views)

Re: crackling sound in Debian Sid 64bit

I have just followed the guidance for the first fix on this page and the sound now sounds great.

http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/how-to-fix-pulseaudio-and-skype-crappy-sound-glitches-choppy-sound-and-crackling-on-debian-gnu-linux/

In summary

In file/etc/pulse/default.pa its necessary to substitute the line;

load-module module-udev-detect

with

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

krsoulsby
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 3 (2,655 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling