Re: You have to release a 64-bit RPM, Skype develo...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: You have to release a 64-bit RPM, Skype developers!

Learn something new every day.  I just did the same from what I got from the Ubuntu deb:

file /usr/bin/skype
/usr/bin/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, BuildID[sha1]=0x3223447b98867e62fbed258aa0da4f2281ab6f11, stripped

> /usr/bin/skype --version
Skype 4.0.0.7
Copyright (c) 2004-2012, Skype

I ran a dependencies check on the Yast solver and found that it calls all 32-bit compatibility libs.  There's nothing 64-bit about it at all!  Are the Windows and Mac versions the same as this?

Asking for 64-bit rpm's is kinda pointless since even the deb's are all 32-bit!

JoeInDenver
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 11 of 16 (1,146 Views)

What did you guys expect? :bigsmile:

Skype (Microsoft) developing quality software for a Linux?

Grow up and admit it: it will never happen in this world. Maybe in some other dimension instead.

Meanwhile you can try to get that thingy running as it is, decide not use Skype for Linux (that's my option), or use Windows version with Virtualbox or similar (and get fancy commercials in middle of your personal discussions).

I made my decision and gave up.

0 Kudos
jrtv
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 16 (1,049 Views)

I also wait for 64bit RPM (Mandriva user) - but as was mentioned in other post - even inside 64bit DEB is 32bit program - so as long as M$ will not develop real 64bit application, 64bit RPM will not be prepared.

0 Kudos
miesiu_01
Novel Tourist
Message 13 of 16 (1,033 Views)

I don't know why they bothered with the Ubuntu and Debian 64-bit packages.  Maybe there's something funky with those two OS's that make the 64-bit versions unable to run a 32-bit program without some kind of tweaks.  (The only thing I can think of).  OpenSUSE (12.1 x86_64) has no problem with anything.  It runs everything equally well.

0 Kudos
JoeInDenver
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 14 of 16 (1,015 Views)

You can use the 32-bit version of skype on Fedora (I've been doing that for years).

0 Kudos
jgrnst
Novel Adventurer
Message 15 of 16 (861 Views)

I am one of those who run a 64-bit only system on my computer. I don't have 32-it compatibility libs installed. I want my system to remain 64-bit only without the 32-bit hacks that bloat the system and can potentially cause "interesting" errors. I

In order for me to run skype I have to downgrade my system to 32-bit (which means I lose all ram >4G on my system when I do 32-bit).

I'm still waiting for devs to realize they can use the same source for both 32-bit and 64-bit and only modify the compile options in order for it to work.

The other option would be for the skype devs to release the source code so distro's can do a proper package for their system. (good luck with that one)

0 Kudos
alisonken1
Novel Tourist
Message 16 of 16 (94 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling