UK 101 Police non-emergency number not supported?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

UK 101 Police non-emergency number not supported?

I wanted to call the police's 101 non-emergency number, but +44 101 didn't work.

Is there a geographical equivalent, or something that otherwise works from Skype?

I'm on Linux Skype version 4.0.0.7

0 Kudos
timbav
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (742 Views)

Re: UK 101 Police non-emergency number not supported?

it clearly states that skype should not be used to make emergency calls. And seeing as it is free to call from any handset they would be no substitue for skype.

єscαpαrσ
0 Kudos
Escaparo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 2 of 5 (739 Views)

[ Edited ]

The problem is likely due to the fact that you have no control over where your Skype-OUT call enters the public telephone network. The access point is very likely not in your city, so if the call were allowed to go through, you could find yourself connected to a police department in some distant part of the country.

0 Kudos
sterler
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 29
Message 3 of 5 (722 Views)

Being connected to the 'wrong' police force would be fine: when you call it, it tells you something like 'We're connecting you to the Metropolitan Police; if you wish to be connected to another force, please press 1 now.' and you're able to select the force you want to talk to - which is a major improvement on not being able to contact anyone!

0 Kudos
timbav
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (673 Views)

101 isn't an emergency number, so the 'Skype isn't for emergency numbers' point is irrelevant.

With regard to it being available for free from any handset, that's not really the point: I much prefer to talk using my computer headphones, rather than holding the relatively uncomfortable phone up to my increasingly sweaty and compacted ear.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
timbav
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (671 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling