Skype tells me that "Another skype instance may ex...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype tells me that "Another skype instance may exist" anytime I login

Anytime I try to login to skype it doesn't let me and inform me that "Another skype instance may exist", when there's not another skype instance. I tried to delete ~/.Skype and reinstall skype (including the config files), and it didn't help.
orikat
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (4,235 Views)

Re: Skype tells me that "Another skype instance may exist" anytime I login

The only way around this problem i found was to uninstall and then re-install Skype.

Then remember that when you have finished setting up Skype or just finished using Skype always click on "exit" to make sure that another instance of Skype is not being loaded.

Don't forget that you and every other Linux user are paying the penalty by having to use a version of Skype that is outdated or still in beta mode with very little prospect of the software ever being updated and all because you choose to run a Linux OS. 

0 Kudos
moldy
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 2 of 6 (4,076 Views)

run terminal

type:

ps -ax | grep skype

kill -9 "skype_process_number"

dave-28
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 6 (3,621 Views)

That works if there really is another one running, I've just installed it on XUbuntu though, it was launched with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/lib4l/v4l1compat.so skype.

Now, even though there is no instance running (nothing in ps aux | grep skype) when I try to sign in I can the "There's another instance running" message.

0 Kudos
BanksySan
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 6 (3,519 Views)

Hi!

Had the same annoying problem. Found this easy solution (no unistall required):

http://ubuntu-skype.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/another-skype-instance-may-exist.html

0 Kudos
lloyd13
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (3,290 Views)

These are all wrong.

Though I haven't found the way to overcome it, my workaround is very simple:

from terminal run -> sudo skype &

It logs in as root. All functionality is good.

0 Kudos
noamtal_123
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (2,199 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling