Re: Skype silently crashes on Ubuntu.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Yes, thats exactly what happens for me. Cant play test sounds. I did never understand why or how to solve it.

0 Kudos
Jockon
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 31 of 86 (5,742 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problem still exists on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneric) 64-bit. Looks like I once again need to remove Pulse Audio and replace it with ALSA to resolve situation. It helped me on 11.04 64-bit.

0 Kudos
antonk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 32 of 86 (5,636 Views)

Hey, I got the same story here. Using 32-bit 11.10 Ubuntu. I haven't found any reaction from Skype anywhere, looks like they just ignore the whole thing =)

I wonder if this support request will gain me any reaction (just submitted it through support.skype.com)? Hmmm...

"

Hello,

The current Skype version is unusable on my system. I am experiencing the problem similar to the ones described on your support pages:

(there was a link to this thread here)
Since Skype shows no interest in solving this, I have no interest to give you my money any more. It would be splendid if you refunded my left credit.

Best regards,
Me

"

Kir
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 33 of 86 (5,548 Views)

Well, let us know how they reacted :happy:. I am probably going to do the same.

0 Kudos
Jockon
Casual Adventurer
Message 34 of 86 (5,545 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is Skype using GStreamer? If yes:

+ the fact that some people were able to sort Skype out by messing with PulseAudio

+ the first Q from http : // forum . skype.com / index.php?showtopic=10858

= mayhaps this will work?

http : // www. webupd8. org/2010/03/ how-to-switch-to-alsa-or-oss-instead-of.html

By the way, I am not going to assume any responsibility for the result if you try this. For all I know, your Ocelot could become sentient and try to take over the world.

PS I also did this:

If Skype can only see pulseaudio, but not ALSA devices

Turn PulseAudio autospawn off, normally: $ echo "autospawn = no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf

Kill PulseAudio: $ killall pulseaudio

Shut down and restart Skype

from https ://wiki.archlinux.org /index.php/ Skype#Skype_can_only_see_pulseaudio.2C_but_not_ALSA_devices

BUT it messes up your SoundMenu (and may be other things, too)

PPS My Test Sounds work fine after the first solution.

0 Kudos
Kir
Novel Adventurer
Message 35 of 86 (5,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had been having the same issue with Skype running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.  When skype crashed I found I was no longer able to edit my sound preferences as well, pointing to a busy sound device.  Skype was locking up, displaying people I knew to be online as offline, and not conecting calls. 

What worked for me was to

go to my home folder,

press ctrl+h to show hidden directories,

Find the directory titled .pulse and delete it.  I did not even need to reboot and it solved all of my issues.  Best of luck all.

Swimmingbird
Novel Tourist
Message 36 of 86 (5,424 Views)

If Skype doesn't really want to deal with this quickly, how about people (as suggested) really finding a decent alternative. OK other people will not be there yet, but no reason why we shouldn't get them over, as long as the alternative has a slick interface and takes as little trouble as possible to install etc.

asimong
Novel Tourist
Message 37 of 86 (5,309 Views)

I'm another one affected with this strange behaviour:

1) Skype is crashing silently, i.e. my text chat messages are marked with a yellow exclamation point and I'm displayed as offline for other users.

2) often independet (!) of those crashes described in (1) pulseaudio crashes, i.e. sound output doesn't work throughout the whole system (including in skype) until I "killall pulseaudio".

3) on skype start, cpu usage goes up to 100%, my mouse cursor and everything else stucks and after 10 seconds of freeze skype suddenly disappears (apparently crashed) and the computer is usable again (in those cases skype will start flawlessly on the second try).

My system (Fedora 16 x86_64 on Thinkpad T400s):

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

linux kernel 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64

skype 2.2.0.35

0 Kudos
tuxor1337
Casual Adventurer
Message 38 of 86 (4,823 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just NOW installed Skype for Linux, thinking, "Oh, this'll be nice!  Now I won't have to jump over to Win 7 to Skype!"  :speechless:  Well, Skype told ME a thing or two...All goes well until I'm logged in.  A few seconds after login,

Me: "Where the hell'd it go?!"

No issues with audio malfunctions, though, so, I dunno if I'm the exception to the rule, or what.  Oh, using Oneiric, by the way.

And about the team's lack of interest in fixing the issue, well, they don't need to kill it, they need to FIX it.  They're just taking the LAZY way out. It's always the "mainstream" OSes that get the great support...Linux is far superior to either of them...They should think about that before they decide to kill Skype for Linux. I mean, yes, I dual-boot with 7, but I don't wanna have to go switching back and forth to Skype someone just because some slacker developers wanna take the easy way out...Sorry, Skype team, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

My System: HP Pavilion p7-1010z (Windows 7 Home Premium/Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot")

0 Kudos
StrangeCrunchy1
Novel Adventurer
Message 39 of 86 (4,778 Views)

[ Edited ]

StrangeCrunchy1 wrote:
It's always the "mainstream" OSes that get the great support...Linux is far superior to either of them...They should think about that before they decide to kill Skype for Linux. I mean, yes, I dual-boot with 7, but I don't wanna have to go switching back and forth to Skype someone just because some slacker developers wanna take the easy way out...Sorry, Skype team, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Are you aware that with "Skype team" you are addressing a team of developers whose employer is no one less than Microsoft? Why should they care about Linux at all? Precisely _because_ Linux is "superior", i.e. it's a serious competitor of Windows, Microsoft is interested in convincing people like you to use Windows - e.g. by releasing buggy versions of Skype for Linux while providing a nice Skype client for Windows...

But all we can do is hope that Microsoft will come to the conclusion that nobody would seriously think about switching the whole operating system due to laggy Skype. The people would rather start using alternative VoIP software or an emulator......

tuxor1337
Casual Adventurer
Message 40 of 86 (4,758 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling