Re: Skype on Ubuntu distros

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype on Ubuntu distros

Greetings;

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, however I would like to provide feedback on the use of Skype on Linux (Ubuntu Distros). The only was I can get my web cam to work if I use the below terminal command. Apparently from what I understand it forces the Skype program to load certain lib 4 package files(Video for Linux). If you run skype from the normal launchers without the special command line as seen below the cam will not work. I am happy this work around works however I would like to see it incorporated in the program some how to avoid me putting this command line in the termial. I have seen on Ubuntu message boards that alot of other users have had success with this work around as well. I just would like to see it be incorporate in the program so others may benefit from it without the use of special commands.

Command to use to get web cam to work : LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

CPU:Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

RAM: 969 MiB

CAM: CIF Single Chip

If this is not the correct forum than please advise where I should post this I would be more than happy to repost in a more approproiate forum. Also if you require any additional information in order to address this bug, please let me know and I will get if for you. :happy:

Thank you

Kindest Regards;

Jason

0 Kudos
jasontobin32
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (818 Views)

And sorry I should have also added;

Skype Version 4.0.0.7
0 Kudos
jasontobin32
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 3 (812 Views)

Also I got the CAM specs for you:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2460 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Q-TEC WEBCAM 100
0 Kudos
jasontobin32
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 3 (808 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling