Skype Linux: Dead??

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Linux: Dead??

After M$ bought skype I just saw 1 update for Linux but for Windows I saw a lot (just look at the versions):

Linux: 2.2 BETA

Windows: 5.9

please M$ its time to took a decision:

support all platforms or close and only update the Windows skype (what is currently happening)

my total disdain for Microsoft

Victor Hugo M. S.

Monkeyt
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 44 (2,571 Views)

Re: Skype Linux: Dead??

Quote: "my total disdain for Microsoft

Victor Hugo M. S."

And you wonder why MS would bother doing anything for you or the millions of others who publicly make every effort to bad mouth them.

Action speaks louder than words. instead of bad mouthing MS, why not offer constructive comments and encouragement instead, after all you want a service they offer and you are unable to provide yourself!

Zenettii
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 2 of 44 (2,465 Views)

Indeed!

Yes, there ARE "alternatives". But not if you actually want to talk to anyone...
Please tell us...What operating system are you using? What version? What desktop? What kind of computer are you using? What kind of inputs and outputs do you have? There's more, but let's start there, shall we?
0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 3 of 44 (2,365 Views)

RevLouM wrote:
Indeed!

Yes, there ARE "alternatives". But not if you actually want to talk to anyone...

Magic Jack and FON...two, there are many more Linux VoIP alternatives...just do some research. Remember that the fact a PBX is required between the Internet and the POTs lines is not a Linux specific issue, but related to the Telephone (wireline ~ wireless oligopoly created in the USA since the 1990s.  Not fair to blame Linux on other companies anti-competitive practices.

I have loved Skype since 2006, however I also prefer Linux to Windows (even Windows 7) and have been using them (MS products) since the DOS/Windows days...Linux will ALWAYS be my first choice. Anything else leads one to a technological dead end for proprietary reasons beyond our control.  It (GNU/Linux) eliminates much business risk, way beyond just virus, rootkits and adware BS...it eliminates interruptions to my work flow caused by auto update, auto upgrade anything not planned by me...I decide when I upgrade, period.  As it must be, else you have an expensive paper weight in training.

There are alternatives and you can use them to talk to anyone...today

Magic Jack is $40 and includes your Call IN phone number for first year, $40 after that.  Most likely this will become my new backup.

FON, been watching them in Europe since 2008, they are staffing up in North America as of June 2012. I have not checked prices yet, but intend to.  Their network rivals Skypes and they do Linux.

Asterisk and other Linux VoIP clients most likely will require a PBX ~ to POTS connection that will cost additional money, you must do your research.  They are excellent VoIP alternatives.

Based on the most recent Skype VoIP network audio problems from June 6 through June 12, 2012, I must have a backup VoIP phone system (cellular will never be that backup for me) or continue to lose thousands of dollars in business. (Same problem on two different Linux distros, so know its not my hardware/software preference)

<quote>One potentially paying business client and I made 8 attempts to connect this weekend to schedule work, all dropped by Skype,

~ One time the audio would work, the next time it would not. 

~ One time the audio would start working and stop working while I was talking to the person (Skype was controlling my device is my guess). 

~ Another time I would call and I could hear the client but the client could not hear me.  

~ A family member called, when I asked, "Can you hear me?", (ironic right) they said "yes" and I quickly told them of my ongoing audio problems.  That if the call drops its Skype VoIP and/or Internet Bandwidth throttling by the cable Internet provider and not them.  Thus if it stops don't bother trying to call me back...we talked for awhile and than you guessed it, Skype cut out, I could hear them say, "..well he said that his audio on Skype was having problems...", they could not hear me...frustration.</quote>

1st Hint:

I have unchecked the box " Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels" under Options / Sound Devices /

2nd Hint:

Stop using the "default device (default)" if the problem persists, select the driver.  On other Linux desktops I have gone from Pulseaudio to ALSA and on yet other Linux distros from ALSA to Pulseaudio (different distros tend to favor one of the other from release to release, once you get it working you are golden until the next planned update/upgrade)

I will give Skype the next 6 mos to get their act together, if they don't, I will most likely sadly churn, because their inaction in NOT supporting Linux left me no other choice.  And I will not be forced to Windows ... over 20 years of experience with that ... not going to happen.  Windows is great for testing, but all my development is in Linux or other (embedded handhelds) non-Windows dev stacks.  By not depending on Windows I avoid the business interruptions that come from unplanned, unscheduled updates/upgrades.

Per the Community Support Guidelines, the above post is allowed, "Note that informed discussion about Skype and competitor offerings or any related hardware, software or services is welcome in these forums"

cboslin
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 44 (2,350 Views)

Ugh, just checked, Magic Jack is for Windows and MacIntosh only on their marketing material, so do some homework in your Linux distro's forums and verify that someone is using Magic Jack with Linux if you can not afford to risk $40 to find out.  Granted if you have a Windows 7 testing machine like I do, it is still a viable backup and that $40 will cover your first year of service...FYI. 

FON is hiring Linux Engineers and tech support, so hopefully its not just for their server back end but the client as well. 

Since Magick Jack works for the MAC and MAC OS is based on GNU/Linux and Unix, my guess is you can get it to work on a Linux client, but check first if you are not willing to risk $40 to find out.

cboslin
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 44 (2,349 Views)

The hints are good. I use ALSA instead of Pulse on my Mint12 machine. My point, however, was comparing freeware to freeware. On Skype my contact list is HUGE, but I am one of the very few Lx people in my circle of F&F, so "most" of the other options are out. As well...I posted in another thread: "Be Careful What You Wish For"! My Skype in Lx "Just Plain Works" whereas the incessant messing around with "updates" made a mess of it far too often. I, too, have been an "MS Guy" since 3.1, but I am now Lx for 95% of what we do...the wife refuses to give up her 7 laptop. I, too, as well have been on Skype since tthe 90's.
Please tell us...What operating system are you using? What version? What desktop? What kind of computer are you using? What kind of inputs and outputs do you have? There's more, but let's start there, shall we?
0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Message 6 of 44 (2,270 Views)

Actually if 2.2 for Linux works for you, keep it! 
Subsequent versions have deleted important features such as the search for contacts by city/country etc,  the dialpad (for when you are in calls and need to respond to prompts of some kind...). 

In the meantime, future versions of Skype have added a counterintuitive gui (typical of M$), windows you cannot resize, facebook integration, and adverts. 

I am primarily a Linux user and right now that means Debian Squeeze 64. Skype won't get me to "upgrade" until Linux versions as functional and solid as 2.2 are released. Don't hold your breath. 

0 Kudos
richardhartley2
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 44 (2,078 Views)

To which I might add while there are some similar systems to Skype there really are no viable alternatives, in terms of number of users plus many of the voip suggestions made in this thread have monthly and yearly charges or (in my case) can't be used in Mexico. With Skype I control my phone costs. If I make a Skype out to a non Skype users I pay from my balance. 

richardhartley2
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 44 (2,077 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's true.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I have, of late, started going over the alternatives...Some are PBX, some are Asterisk, some are P2P, some are SIP and still others are Presence...That leaves out the "pretty much everyone" angle. 

There are, literally, myriad options for messaging and the interfacing of social media.  Pidgin can conect Yahoo, AoL, MSN, ICQ and even the venerable Sametime...along with many others.  Gwibber can support Facebook, Twitter, Digg, IdentiCa, Flikr and several others.  IRC has enough GUIs for ANYone, and not to forget CLI!  Skype, as a P2P VoIP service is about "as good as it gets"...But, just as Dunkin' Donuts should stick to coffee and donuts and McD should stick to burgers and fries, Skype should stick to doing what they do best!  Do you REALLY NEED one more Fb interface?  Especially when other applications will "hook you up" with five, six or a dozen at a time?

Funny, though, innit?  We Lx-ers were at 2.2b for a LONG time; but now that "THOSE TERRIBLE EVIL PEOPLE IN REDMOND" (tm) have "taken over", we see a new version in < a year?  Add to that the aforementioned issues of intuitive functionality, GUI, adverts and...SPAM!  I am getting more than a DOZEN "URGENT SYSTEM NOTICE" spams a week where I used to get...well...NONE.  "WE" are now a target market.  Thanks, v4.0!

Just bring it all to the table.

0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Message 9 of 44 (2,034 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have, of late, started going over the alternatives...Some are PBX, some are Asterisk, some are P2P, some are SIP and still others are Presence...That leaves out the "pretty much everyone" angle. 

There are, literally, myriad options for messaging and the interfacing of social media.  Pidgin can conect Yahoo, AoL, MSN, ICQ and even the venerable Sametime...along with many others.  Gwibber can support Facebook, Twitter, Digg, IdentiCa, Flikr and several others.  IRC has enough GUIs for ANYone, and not to forget CLI!  Skype, as a P2P VoIP service is about "as good as it gets"...But, just as Dunkin' Donuts should stick to coffee and donuts and McD should stick to burgers and fries, Skype should stick to doing what they do best!  Do you REALLY NEED one more Fb interface?  Especially when other applications will "hook you up" with five, six or a dozen at a time?

( Sorry about the blue background on everything, including my reply...such is the result of attempting to edited the quote. UGH. )

@RevLouM couldn't agree more...  Here are my

MUST haves (in addition to running on Linux):

1) Phone number so cell phones and landlines can call me.

2) Ability to call 'out' to cell phones / landlines.

If those two are met, than there are no limitiations.  Everything else would be nice to haves, chat, PC related extras.  Social media is a non-issue as with PHP I can include ANY social media widget with as little as two/three lines of code, so if the "smart" device your using to make phone calls on is a computer, all social media... past, present and future are non issues.

Caveat: Your so called smart device is fully rootable, most are NOT by design...even many Android devices (are not smart), with full admin access so that you can install and configure your purchase as your see fit.

As long as the VoIP offering/solution gives me a 10 digit phone number (AAA) PPP-XXXX and runs on Linux I would be very interested in it. 

I will not have time over the next month to do any research on this, thankfully my decision date is the end of the year, renewal for me, so I have time....  But I will follow what you discover.  I will also share what I find with all....thanks to all.

One day I will have the $5K - $10K per month to host my own VoIP ~ PBX ~ Telco solution and would gladly offer a VoIP (w/ phone number) solution.  Would only need 1,000 subscribers paying $10 per month to cover the cost of that PBX. $60 - $120 per year is what I expect to pay for telephone service, not $600 plus ($50 per month...what cable/cellular want to drive every subscriber above) per year.

How many millions of Skype users use Linux...enough said. 

If its (Linux) only 1% of Skype users, thats over 300,000 subscribers and you and I both know there are more than 300,000 Linux users in the over 30,000,000 Skype subscribers.  Most days the subscriber numbers range between 35,000,000 and 42,000,000 subscribers.

I have been thinking about that for over 3 years...just need $10K per month for 2 - 5 years (time for new business to succeed) to go for it.  I bet such an entity would be in the black in less than 6 months.  With more and more Linux subscribers churning with each additional slight in favor of Windows which sadly seems to be their RoadMap.

0 Kudos
cboslin
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 44 (2,010 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling