Re: Please tell the truth.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 4 has just come out!!

http ://www. omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/skype-for-linux-loses-beta-tag-bumps-to-4-0?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29&utm_content=FaceBook
0 Kudos
tprender
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 111 of 121 (1,037 Views)

It's great to see v4.0 released!  Got it installed and working on my LinuxMint box (after uninstalling 2.2 beta from the repos first).  Given the precondition of having Skype 5.0 for group video calls, I think that's the next milestone for Skype's Linux team to be shooting for, at least for my purposes.  

greenwapiti
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 112 of 121 (987 Views)

[ Edited ]

Installing it today. LiNUX Mint12 "Lisa" 64-bit. Tried yesterday and failed. (My own fault...didn't read the "RTM")...

Although I MUST admit...going from 2.2 to 4 in ANY software shakes me a bit...

Please tell us...What operating system are you using? What version? What desktop? What kind of computer are you using? What kind of inputs and outputs do you have? There's more, but let's start there, shall we?
0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 113 of 121 (867 Views)

Of course, whilst 2.2 could be coaxed into working, skype 4 is completely useless on oss4 based systems. Unless this gets addressed I'll have to move to a competing system.
0 Kudos
tdrtax
Novel Adventurer
Message 114 of 121 (719 Views)

Once again...going from 2.2 to 4.0 in ANY program is bound to be fraught with "issues".  Anyone, (especially anyone used to using Lx for more than 15 minutes), should be completely okay wih this thought process.

The problem is that Skype, for nearly all intents and purposes, HAS NO "alternative".

There ARE, yes, other VoIPs.  There ARE, other "messaging" clients.  There sure as heck are other "instant messenger interfaces".  But...at what Skype "is" and "does", good lck with that replacement "search".

Instead of all the blustering and stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth...why not JOIN WITH Skype to improve it,(Oh...what was I THINKING!?!?! THEY are part of those EEEVYLLL Microsoft Corporations!). Or...work on creating an interface for Skype, Voodoo, hoodoo, pidgin, AoL, ICQ, MSM, Apple, IBM, QoS, Sametime, Yahell, Os1, 2, 5, 20...ALL of 'em.  Please don't leave any out!  I may NEED them some day and I'll need to know who's feet to bow before...

Please tell us...What operating system are you using? What version? What desktop? What kind of computer are you using? What kind of inputs and outputs do you have? There's more, but let's start there, shall we?
0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Message 115 of 121 (700 Views)

FYI, I just tried Skype for linux 4.0.0.8.  Outbound calls seem to work, but I can not get inbound calls.  So back to Skype 2.2 for me....

garyemiller
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 116 of 121 (606 Views)

[ Edited ]

@RevLouM

If I'm completely honest, your reply serves no useful purpose whatsoever. My primary OS is Linux, and I'm happy to work with anyone that will work with me to improve it, in whatever way I can.

I am also aware that MS has a rather large Linux support/user team, and so will not criticise for the sake of it. If I had the necessary programming knowledge, I would offer my assistance in fixing the deficiencies in Skype4.0. I do not, however, have that knowledge.

Having said that, I am a more than competant Linux user, and should it be a case of beta testing, looking for the appropriate hook or OSS setting to make it work, I will happily do so.

I think that your response is more likely to perpetuate the "linux elitist" view that tends to exist, rather than to offer anything constructive to the matter whatsoever.

0 Kudos
tdrtax
Novel Adventurer
Message 117 of 121 (602 Views)

The LiNUX "elitist" is dead?

I doubt it.

BUT...since you bring it UP...to myself and many other MORE THAN "competant" LiNUX users...(Who, like me, use LiNUX in at least one distro EVERY DAY...)...

My post only "points out" the "sore spots".  No, it doesn't provide any palliative care.  But neither does it serve to inflame.  My post is dead-center down the middle...offering assistance and guidance to people from 15 to 115.  On BOTH sides of the "eeeevylll MS" argument.

ANY software that skips that many versions without the benefit of a- or b- or IRL-testing is SUSPECT.  It matters not whether it comes out of Redmond, WA or Geneva or Tokyo.  If you are a "competent" LiNUX user OR a UnIX user OR a Solaris user OR a BeOS user or a Mac user OR a BSD user....you feel the same way. I am versant in LiNUX AND M/S.  I have no hatred of either side of the issue.  They have BOTH made me $$$.  I have anywhere between 8 and 15 machines running in this building at a time, including a monster of an old-school server...(it costs me $5 a month in juice to run it.  It's THAT "old-school").  ONLY TWO run Windows.  I HARDLY have a "vested interest" in either side of the fence.

Because anyone willing to make progress happen for ALL is a "good-egg" in my book, I am glad that you're willing to help make it happen, with M/S and their Lx team!  As opposed to SOOOO many posts I have seen here from "Gates-Hates" folks. 

If my post serves "no useful purpose" to YOU, well...sorry about that.  I just remain convinced that OTHERS may have taken a grain of sense from it.  You know...the huddled unwashed "Microsoft Bullies" and the saintly "Penguin Posse" types.  Or?  Is it the other way 'round?  I never DO get that quite right.  So..."Perpetuate"?  Or merely "point-out"?  Do we DARE get into the "market-share" and all of that hyperbole?  Why?  NEITHER is going to "go away", mad, or anyhow else.  Roll up your sleeves, grab the API's, and stop sweating semantic issues.

0 Kudos
RevLouM
Experienced Adventurer
Message 118 of 121 (594 Views)

To take a screenshot does not need skype at all. Use Printscreen or take screenshot on most distros

stevepegrum
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 119 of 121 (491 Views)

gzip error, broken pipe how to fix it.

(Reading database ...  (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 162812 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace skype 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1 (using .../skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.8-1_i386-1.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement skype ...
dpkg: error processing /tmp/skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.8-1_i386-1.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf', which is also in package skype-bin 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.8-1_i386-1.deb

0 Kudos
combatyid
Novel Adventurer
Message 120 of 121 (611 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling