Incoming message notification no sound

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Incoming message notification no sound

[ Edited ]

Hi I am having a problem with incoming message notifications When the chat window is on top (in focus?) I get no sound when it is behind another window the sound plays fine. Any ideas?

ubuntu 11.04

skype 2.2.0.35

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
beltonmike
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (23,053 Views)

Re: Incoming message notification no sound

For some reason (possibly intentional?) many of the skype sounds are set by the alert volume in ubuntu. Open your sound preferences and click on the 'Sound Effects' tab. Ensure the the alert volume is not muted and/or turn it up to some appropriate level.

Hopefully this helps.
Please use plain text.
quickridge
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 2 of 14 (23,047 Views)

Quickridge, thanks for your reply, already checked that, the sound is fine except when the skype message window is at the front

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
beltonmike
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (23,035 Views)

I had the same problem in Linux (Debian, Gnome). Uninstalling Mono solved the problem.

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
andremichael
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (22,997 Views)

I have had this prob Since V5 came out. I am using a Mac though. I have a frined uing Win 7 and he has the same prob! WTF!! Any help would be awesome!

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
themacguy2k
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 14 (22,958 Views)

Same problem here.   Use Windows 7.  At least I know now that if i bury the file, it may work.  The flash notification that is supposed to pop up on my screen  when someone sends a message doesn't work either. 

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
poplarlady
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 14 (22,925 Views)

The issue is that Skype will not play or show a notification if the chat window is the active (in focus) window. I have this problem in Windows, and assume it is the same with Linux. A bug has been opened, asking to make this an option (show/play notification even when it is the active window), and they have said they Will Not Fix.

It's annoying in many situations (screen saver has come on, Skype runs on a secondary computer, etc.)

A workaround is to click to the desktop when you are about to leave, work on something else, etc., as this will take the focus from the chat window, and notifications will then play/show.

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
emilebourquin
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 7 of 14 (22,883 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm.. So they had a "perfectly" working app BEFORE they changed to this new style (v5) and now not only made the app clunkier then before, but they WON'T fix bugs?

WTF skype? This affects ppl on ALL platforms (Linux, mac, windows) and you are NOT goign to do anything about it? I don't want a work around for something that DID work and should continue to work. A notification sound should play when msg arrives, plain and simple.. been that way for... Oh... idk.. EVER!!!

Hey SKYPE. fix your app and make it work proper. Quit worying about making money and do something dif for a change.. care about making a quality product that your customers WANT to use.. not that are FORCED to use.

(no offence to you emileboutquin... Lots of offence to SKYPE!)

*Inappropriate language removed. Please refrain from using this kind of language in the future. Thank you!*

Please use plain text.
themacguy2k
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (22,877 Views)

I have noticed this problem just recently since installing updated Skype. I'm so bummed!! For all the reasons everyone here gives. I hope they fix it!! Give me my old Skype any day!!

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
marniecgjohnk62
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 14 (21,753 Views)

BUMPING to get this fixed, Skype! It's inredibly aggravating and "Will Not Fix" is not acceptable.

Please use plain text.
ECMIM
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (16,549 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling