Re: Fedora 17 X64 - no sound

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Fedora 17 X64 - no sound

I jumped up (clean install from Fedora 14 32-bit) to Fedora 17 64-bit. Installed the Skype RPM, found the 101 32-bit dependencies and the pulse-also bridges. All the stuff that makes it work for most people.

No test sound, though. I'm presented with a raft of options, including several "default" generic devices, hardware-specific devices and "pulse", but none of them give a squeak. No ALSA device option, though.

I know that pulse itself is functioning, since "paman" can play test output when its ALSA output option is selected. And the lower-level audio stuff is just fine - installed transparently and all other audio-using apps are OK. Only skype remains silent.

Anything else I can test?

Timh
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 5 (6,511 Views)

Try installing pulseaudio:

yum install-y qt-x11.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 libXv.i686
roaming_tech
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 2 of 5 (6,212 Views)

It is works. Thank you.

Sharom
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 5 (6,159 Views)

Worked great for me. Thanks. One problem though was I copied and pasted your command and it did not work until I put a space after the word install and before the -y. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
sytoby
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 5 (4,830 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same(?) problem here. I'm running F17 X64 OS on  a brand new Dell Optiplex 390 (I5 processor). clean install of F17 X64, clean install of Skype X32, video works fine, all sounds work fine on all other apps. ex cept Skype. The 'Skype test call' recognizes the sound problem and flags the lack of playback.

....installing pulseaudio (see roam_tech's advise) did the trick.. All is fine now. :happy:

0 Kudos
reitsmar
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 5 (4,244 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling