Re: Disk I/O error

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Disk I/O error

I start up skype, and when I try to log in, I get this error:  Disk I/O error. Please restart Skype. If you keep seeing this error, please contact Skype customer support.  I restarted it, and it continues to give this error 

Mraof
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 10 (4,480 Views)

I had the same problem, you can try with

mv ~/.Skype ~/.Skype_old && mv ~/.Skype-2.0 ~/.Skype-2.0_old

Then restart skype4 and see what happens, in my case it failed to login to the account (it seems to authenticate against the server, but it failes, if using a password which you know is incorrect, then it will tell you that).

I did uninstall Skype4 and reinstalled the 2.2Beta, which works fine, we hope that Microsoft will be keen in support 64bit Linux too someday (Maybe when Microsoft has made that transaction themselves and stopped supporting 32bit).

Trizt
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 2 of 10 (4,464 Views)

rm -rf ~/.Skype

worked for me

ramaboo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 10 (4,456 Views)

[ Edited ]

rm -rf is like chopping off your hand to remove a splinter.. My god, I can't believe how many people do that..

http://blog.netflowdevelopments.com/2012/05/04/cannot-login-to-skype-another-instance-may-exist/

Same solution will work, just means something is using yuor skype files and you need to shut it down. probablyi pulse

unc0nnected
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 4 of 10 (4,439 Views)

nope, this is not it. the latest version really gives you disk i/o error with the old ~/.Skype directory and cannot sign in error without the old directory...

0 Kudos
darko_veberic
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 10 (3,522 Views)

Still broken... but thanks google for providing a working product. 

mwsltn
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 10 (3,165 Views)

MY SKYPE ID NOT LOGING THIS MESSAGE IO/DISK ERROR IM TASKBAR QUIT THEN AGAIN TRY BUT THIS PROBLEM NOT SOLVE PLS HELP ME.        

THANKS          MY ID SKYPE

RAJA_WS2003

0 Kudos
JATE
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (1,695 Views)

IO/DISK ERROR
0 Kudos
JATE
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,694 Views)

I am using Firefox, never had this issue before, keep getting 'Disk I/O error' I close Skype reopen and it does it again. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and same error over and over. This worked last night so don't understand why it isn't working now.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
jayleipsy
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (1,134 Views)

Disk I/O problem has nothing to do with another running instance, but with internal db corruption. So, in this particular case, even not the ideal solution, rm -rf  makes a lot of sense. It could be fixed just by removing the db file, but since Skype re-generates all the files there, you only lose your chat history.

0 Kudos
rudygodoy
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (857 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling