Re: missing skype app for kindle fire hd

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

missing skype app for kindle fire hd

I've been on dozens of websites and forums to find a solution to this problem, supposedly Skype comes preinstalled on all kindle fire hds, after searching the app store, Amazon and skype forums but still cannot find it, I attempted a download however I couldn't locate it on my cloud, I'm now very irritated and would like a solution to this stupid problem.

Posted from Amazon KFSOWI
EmmaH
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 11 (5,357 Views)

Same thing for me after returning kindle fire hd 2 to factory settings.  Only way to get some focus is to give kindle a 1* score on amazon.  Enough lowering of the overall score and kindle, amazon and skype.s management will decide it's costing them too many lost sales. Hopefully then they.'ll fix it.

Posted from Amazon KFOT
declan88
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 11 (5,289 Views)

you cannot install skype because the hd version does not have a microphone and no camera. You should have bought the hdx version for using skype.

Best

cicciogooo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 11 (4,993 Views)

The kindle fire hd 8.9 does have Mic and webcam but still no joy on being able to skype my son in oz . 

Posted from Amazon KFJWI
luckylinda
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 11 (4,778 Views)

Try drilling holes in it then smashing it into a wall. Hope this helped.
Posted from Apple iPad
Guyman111
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 11 (3,844 Views)

I am also furious to find that I cannot download Skpye to my brand new Kindle Fire HD - even though the Skype web site says it is now included. When i try to download teh skype app from Amazone - I am told that my device is incompatible. Skype was one of the main fetures I wwanted to use on this device - can someone tell me what is going on and why it wasn't flaged as a product defficiency when I purchased it? Amazon and Skype - please give me a solution.

Bammbah
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 11 (1,992 Views)

cicciogooo wrote:

you cannot install skype because the hd version does not have a microphone and no camera. You should have bought the hdx version for using skype.

Best

The Kindle Fire HD does have a front facing camera and Skype is pre-installed. It's located on your photo page in the upper right hand corner.

Posted from Amazon KFTT
moonlily
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (1,579 Views)

had no problem to use skype on my kindle fire....it works great overseas.

m.g.f.
marghi41
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 11 (1,508 Views)

i have downloaded and installed Skype on my Kindle Fire HD, although I would sugget it's not worth the effort as it crashes and freezes constantly and is pretty much unusable. Extremely disappointed in the quality of apps Amazon permits on thiir devices and cannot even take the Skype app seriously. if you need to use Skype get back on your laptop or desktop and don't consider the Kindle as a serious platform for it. 

Posted from Amazon KFTT
theantman
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (1,010 Views)

The issue was not, why does my kindle not have a microphone and camera. It was about getting Skype on a Kindle without these! The point being. He/she wants Skype for reasons other than video and voice calling on his/her Kindle. I have run into the same problem and eventually hacked my way through to getting onto the Kindle and installed. Some people like to keep in touch with their Skype contacts, even when they can't video and voice call. SOOOOO.... the solution isn't, hey you should have bought a different product, but either don't respond, or actually help the person out in finding the way to install Skype and have it work withough having to buy a different product.

Unfortunately my Kindle had to be repaired (and don't be a smart butt and infer that it was cuz I put Skype on there anyway because that was not the issue.), and the one they sent back to me, is having trouble getting Skype back onto it, so I can't help someone else if I can't do it myself again. So don't be a jerk and suggest maybe I should help them; I would if I could!

MSGNiels
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (845 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling