Re: Skype for Kindle Fire?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype for Kindle Fire?

Will Skype work on a Kindle Fire?

ljones2910
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 38
Message 1 of 29 (91,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

It appears a root will allow you to get the benefits from skype on the kindle fire, here is the type of headset needed:

[invalid URL]   search liliputing.com for exmple if link gets stripped

(I would not recommend rooting this device unless this is something you would like to spend a measure of time on) Rooting or jailbreaking has benefits but it also has its downsides. The main issue is the lack of support and time investment required.

Since you are forging into new territory, support generally consists of you having to dig and hit the forums to solve problems,  if you have the time and energy for it, have at it.

[invalid URL] search bytewiki.com for article and video for root if link gets stripped

N8
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 2 of 29 (89,776 Views)

Will Skype work on my kindle fire
Posted from Amazon D01400
npietrom
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 3 of 29 (82,083 Views)

you can although video chatting from your end would not work out of the box and Skype will not work with an external mic on the Kindle Fire 

liliput has a great article on this

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-sideload-apps-even-the-android-market-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire...

[if the link is removed google "kindle fire sideload"]

basically you need to enable unknown sources

then aquire an apk of either another appstore (like GetJar, SlideME, etc) or Skype [disclaimer: I am not responsible and doing this may break terms of use, EULAs and could get you arrested for piracy depending on what exactly you do *]

(in the case of the Android Play Market you need to root before [just follow that article])
place that apk on the kndle fire
navigate to the that location using a file explorer
open it and install

* I put the disclaimer there because any paid application's apk would be piracy, and I believe doing so with many apps may be against their EULA and Terms of Use

by performing any actions any above you claim full responsibility and liability for anything that may happen by doing so

UniversityOfPi
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 4 of 29 (81,912 Views)

Very upset that Skype is not available for the Kindle Fire in the UK - I hope they will rectify this soon as it is exactly what I need and one of the reasons I decided on the Kindle Fire over other tablets!

GDW
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 5 of 29 (74,036 Views)

Hi, I have just bought a Kindle Fire and Skype came preloaded.  I have signed in, seen my other skype contacts. Clicked on make video call and nothing happens.  What do I need to do now?  I get the page that shows me Contacts, Recent, Call Phones, Profile, and the bar to 'tell friends what you are thinking'.  Where is the 'make a video call' option?  if i go into my kindle contacts i can see names of other i have skyped from my PC, and the 'video call xxx' is available but choosing this option  takes me back to the blue previous page.

Any help would be appreciated.  Not sure what to do next.

Carolyn22
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 21
Message 6 of 29 (73,950 Views)

ughh it wont work for me, how do i get it to work on my kindle fire?!?!

ToughMuffin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 7 of 29 (64,272 Views)

I am very disappointed that I can not get Skype on my new Kindle Fire, let's hope they make it happen soon.
spike440
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 29 (62,724 Views)

I can log in but nothing shows up as far as contacts
Posted from Amazon D01400
sueb603
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 9 of 29 (62,631 Views)

ah i cant get skype on my kindle fire theu need to do somethink about this and soon :@
Posted from Samsung GT-S5830
stardust4980
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 10 of 29 (61,872 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling