Re: Webcam problems

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Webcam problems

Apparently whoever decided it was a good idea for skype to update automatically by default didn't think this through. Skype updated automatically and now it says my webcam isn't recognized, yet it works with other applications that require webcams. Yes I tried the faqs, and they don't help. This laptop is windows xp, not windows 8. The webcam is built into the laptop, it's not a usb webcam. I'm trying to skype with a friend on his birthday and skype's automatic update ruined it.

blazeimperium
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 44 (1,199 Views)

Please,  run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. Please, attach this file to your post.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6955
Message 2 of 44 (1,181 Views)

Yes, now that I updated Skype it says my webcam is not connected.  I don't understand.  Very frustrating.

jeffreypowell67
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 44 (1,018 Views)

I Have a Dell Inspiron Laptop 1750.... The Drivers seem to work when I do the Dell Diagnostic test ! You need your service tag to do this test.
However since Dell installed those drivers Probably into the Hidden Partition,... ?
I can't get them again Installed !(They Seem to be PreInstalled..? )
The Location of the driver is : 0000.001a.0007.006.000.000.000.000.000   !
I guess this must be a mistake or Conflict with another Program, ...webcentral, and Dell Webcam Manager too,....I guess Contact with Dell Service or Microsoft would be the Best.  I am Already busy for a few months to find a Solution ! GOOD LUCK ! 

Gent19
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 44 (1,005 Views)

jeffreypowell67 wrote:

Yes, now that I updated Skype it says my webcam is not connected.  I don't understand.  Very frustrating.

Try to uninstall the 6.18 version and install Skype 6.14.0.104 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.14.0.104.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 44 (999 Views)

Skype V 6.18.32.105 should be able to detect the webcam... but after reading several issues
about the build in webcam,  there is something with the drivers. sure !
The diagnose from Dell Webcam,...Passed All test ... even at the moment of capture I could see myself ,..  so the webcam Works .... However, Not detected in the Webcam Manager, or Webcam Central, Nor in the ..Cam Avatar Creator ... I Google arround since months now, but No Solution. Guess Creative Technology Ltd.Has to come with The Solution ! They have created the Drivers for Dell.
By NCH Webcam prog The Webcam is Not detected eighter .
Will have a try To instal Your version .. ! 
Thanks for the Link Sir, I will have a try.... Cross fingers.
Very warm Regards, WM

Gent19
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 44 (990 Views)

same problem. Just updated my Laptop(vista) and using Google rather than Microsoft. Says it does not find a webcam but it's built in. What am I to do????

Katjad282
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 44 (898 Views)

Hello Jeffreypowell67,
Tried to Uninstal ,.... Didn't work. Even the sound seems not to be Ok anymore .
There was an MicrosoftUpdate .... in between,...and since then the Sound is interupted ?
Know I am even More Frustrated !
The avast antivirus Total Internet Protection is telling me even that my Terra Webpage is Infected and is blocked. Ha ....Long live the OLD Analog telephone.
I keep Searching,.....but ..... Seems that the drivers for the Webcam Disapeared from the downloadlist ? .... What's going on ? I would not know.
Oh well, let's blaim it on the Moon.
Warm Regards, Werner

Gent19
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 44 (849 Views)

Uninstalled version 18. Installed version 14. It kind of recognized webcam because you can in the video settings see the webcam including your image but i still can not select video call. May bei have to select the other webcam option (can't remember but something similar to my webcam) and it migh work??
Posted from Samsung GT-S7275R
Katjad282
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 44 (813 Views)

Katjad282 wrote:
Uninstalled version 18. Installed version 14. It kind of recognized webcam because you can in the video settings see the webcam including your image but i still can not select video call. May bei have to select the other webcam option (can't remember but something similar to my webcam) and it migh work??

Is the contact you are trying to video call Online on Skype? The status icon next to this contact's name must be solid green with a white checkmark inside.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 44 (799 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling