Skype can't access my webcam.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype can't access my webcam.

Hi, I'm running Skype on a new Dell Laptop (Alienware m14x) with windows 7 home premium, and it worked perfectly fine for the first two days. Now whenever I try to make a video call, I get the following message: "Skype can't connect to your webcam. Close any applications that may be using your webcam."

So I open my task manager, and there are no other applications running other than Skype at the time, nothing that would be using it under processes either. I have deleted, uninstalled, and reinstalled Skype, and still no luck. (And also restarted my computer numerous times.) I am at a complete loss, I cannot find any program that might also be using the webcam anywhere on my computer.

mctaylor241
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 7 (5,273 Views)

Re: Skype can't access my webcam.

Mine was the same way.  I did get it to work finally with an external usb webcam. But all of the sudden it won't allow for video only Audio.  I've tried everything to fix the problem. I even restored pc to see if that would help and nope, now my internal webcam isn't being detected at all by any program.  Under call the Video option is in grey and not able to check settings, etc.  I'm running windows7 on a Lenovo G575 pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  God Bless.

ImBubbleee
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 7 (5,191 Views)

Go into Control panel . "add/delete programs" and look for "facebook video calling..exe" and delete it. A facebook update competes with the webcam and does not allow Skype to access the camera even when you are not connected to facebook

johnonz
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 7 (2,454 Views)

this has been an ongoing issue since 6.5. Skype has just released a new version which fixed the problem on my machine. See post at http://community.skype.com/t5/Hardware/Integrated-Cam-on-Dell-XPS-L501X-suddenly-not-working-with-Sk...

or download here: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.7.0.102.msi

damskypc
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 7 (2,401 Views)

Have same problems as above members. Mine is window 8. After 2 days of using skype, I cannot get access to webcam.

Sangri
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 7 (1,606 Views)

[ Edited ]

same issue..windows 8...bought cam yesterday....box cam is in says it's Skype verified...LMAO..it's built by Microshaft so i guess that should have been my first clue to stay away for the **bleep** thing....although i can access cam in other programs...and troubleshooter says it works..only the built in mic works in skype...no picture...i have had so many issues with skype..i need to get away from even using it!..SKYPE was taken over by Microshaft and has been down hill since! **bleep**

Edited to conform with the Community Guidelines

-deadman-
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 7 (123 Views)

I'm not sure what camera you have but the Skype certified Microsoft LifeCams I have work just fine.  If you are running Windows 8.0 you may have to use Windows 7 drivers.  If however you are running Windows 8.1, then the latest 8.x drivers should work fine.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1058
Message 7 of 7 (88 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling