Problem with Razer Megalodon in Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with Razer Megalodon in Skype

I recently bought a Razer Megalodon headset and the microphone does not work with Skype. If I go into "record" my computer picks up the sound and records it, but when I use the headset with Skype it does not record. If I try to call someone the error message is "Problem with recording device". I have the Audio settings set to Razer Megalodon for the microphone and speakers so that isn't the problem but I'm wondering what it could be?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated! (:

tyler_bagley
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 10 (7,783 Views)

Re: Problem with Razer Megalodon in Skype

I am having the EXACT same problem and it is really frustrating!
Rendition
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 10 (7,600 Views)

Also having this issue.  Updated Skype.  Updated the firmware for the Megalodon headset.  My error swaps between Problem with recording device and Problem with playback device.  I found that Skype turns off my headset for some reason, but when I quit Skype, I'm able to hear and record on any other application.

Hunting for a fix has been very unsuccessful.

Kurblarr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 10 (7,529 Views)

Same issue here. Can't find a solution. It's obvious my headset works. Just not with skype. I'm becoming disheartened.

MiaCulpa
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 10 (7,505 Views)

same problemo over here. please fix!

Tomahawk13121
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (7,464 Views)

I think I found a workaround! I was having the exact same problem; Razer Megalodon suddenly not working with Skype, despite the microphone and headphones working perfectly with everything else.

I think the problem has to do with the Razer Megalodon consuming too much power from the USB (your PSU doesn't have anything to do with it, it's a limitation of USB). I simply plugged the Megalodon into a powered USB hub (with no other USB devices attached to it) and Skype started working again without any problems.

Using a powered USB hub can solve other Megalodon related problems as well, such as if you try plugging in a Microsoft Xbox 360 USB controller into your PC at the same time as the Megalodon. They end up staving themselves for power unless you give the Megalodon its own seperate USB power source.

Anyways, I hope this helps you!

Plo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 10 (7,326 Views)

Tried hooking up to a powered usb port and now works like a charm! thanks

andrew226
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (7,305 Views)

I have the same problem, however, I am for one not willing to go buy a power hub usb just because my device isn't compatible with skype anymore. It has been working before, skype just needs to do a hotfix. So please.

marstian78
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (7,240 Views)

I plugged it in a powered usb hub and it now works again! thanks!
nickyke5123
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (7,182 Views)

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Problem-with-recording-device-Razer-Megalodon/m...

over here it mentions you can just plug into the front of the computer if nothing else is there, which worked for me:happy:

Maeva
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (4,954 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling