Re: Plantronics Audio 648 USB headset

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Plantronics Audio 648 USB headset

I very recently bought the above headset and it has been working fine till now. The microphone is working but the headphones are not. I have read somewhere on the Skype site that the call control buttons on the cable leading to the headset will not work due to an alteration in the Skype software but the headphones should still work....but they are not and although the headset is listed in  audiosettings/advanced options/speakers I cannot get the software to accept them as having priority to my Realtek speakers built into my laptop.

Any suggestions please? The headphones must be capable of working not least because the Skype shop is still selling them

Peter

PeterE622
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (344 Views)

Do the headphones still work in Windows outside of Skype?

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1093
Message 2 of 4 (341 Views)

techfreak wrote:

Do the headphones still work in Windows outside of Skype?

Yes they do

PeterE622
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (305 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try installing your USB headset directly to a port on your computer preferably one that you have never used before with this headset. You also have the option of disabling your onboard speakers in Windows just to see if it will work. Though it's generally less of an issue with USB than 3.5mm headsets, try installing the latest (v2.71 04/2013) generic Realtek "High Definition Audio Codecs" drivers to see if it changes things. They are available at the link below:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Installing the drivers is generally a two-stage procedure. On it's own it will uninstall your existing drivers, prompt you to reboot, then it will install the latest release after the reboot. You would probably want to reboot one more time afterward.

Doing these things (USB port change/driver update) should update your current configuration in Skype. So hopefully you will get different results.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1093
Message 4 of 4 (299 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling