GE 31591 Phone - caught between Skype and GE.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

GE 31591 Phone - caught between Skype and GE.

[ Edited ]

I don't think anyone at Skype is listening.  They don't care.  In addition to having the same problem you have, that I cannot download or sync the address book to the Skype Phone or viceversa, I can't make calls.

I bought a Skype wireless telephone, a Skype number and an annual US/Canada unlimited calls SkypeOut subscription.  In total, I paid Skype $70.

I can make calls from my computer, and I can make calls from my handset to Skype ID. I can receive calls from any number both on the computer and on the handset.  However I cannot make calls to either mobile or land line numbers from the handset.  

I spent 3 hours both on the phone and on chat with Skype but all they did was come up with illogical causes for the problem, which I disproved to them one by one, and finally they refused to help. They told me to call GE, although I bought the phone from Skype.  They are passing the buck to GE, the company whose logo appears on the handset although GE does not make telephones, only sells them under their name.

Skype not only refuses to offer me a solution but also refuses to return my money and cancel the subscription.

Has anyone else had this problem and how have they solved it?

0 Kudos
rimaggio
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 16 (2,062 Views)

Re: GE 31591 Skype Cordless Telephone

I don't think anyone at Skype is listening.  They don't care.  In addition to having the problem that I cannot download or sync the address book to the Skype Phone or viceversa as others have reported, I can't make calls.  However, inspite of incompetent tech support from Skype (read the whole story below) I Googled the issue until I found a work-around.  It is not an elegant solution, but it works.  However, Skype owes us a solution that matches what they advertise and what we paid for.  That is, that we should be able to make and receive the same calls from the Skype phone handset as we do on the computer.

The solution mentioned, pressing the green button, does not work all the time.  Dialing 1 in front of the number does not work either.  But dialing +1 in front of the number does.

Here's my story:

I bought a Skype wireless telephone, a Skype number and an annual US/Canada unlimited calls SkypeOut subscription.  In total, I paid Skype $70.

I can make calls from my computer, and I can make calls from my handset to Skype ID. I can receive calls from any number both on the computer and on the handset.  However I cannot make calls to either mobile or land line numbers from the handset.  

I spent 3 hours both on the phone and on chat with Skype but all they did was come up with illogical causes for the problem, which I disproved to them one by one, and finally they refused to help. They told me to call GE, although I bought the phone from Skype.  They are passing the buck to GE, the company whose logo appears on the handset although GE does not make telephones, only sells them under their name.

Skype not only refuses to offer me a solution but also refuses to return my money and cancel the subscription.  I don't think they realize what the U.S. customer demands in terms of customer satisfaction for a company to be successful.

rimaggio
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 16 (2,046 Views)

I've expereiced the lack of support, cannot give you any advice but if the phone is under warranty etc it return. If you've paid by credit card suggest you take it with your card provider. Can't speak for your side of the pond, but here in the UK they (the card provider) are bound  to provide a refund!

Bon chance

Ben:cool:

0 Kudos
bencowell
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 16 (2,029 Views)

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1973
Message 3 of 16 (2,002 Views)

Re: GE 31591 Phone -- caught between Skype and GE.

Did you try to set the default line as Skype Out, instead of landline? I think is in settings - phone (Sorry, I've not the phone with me now)

Max

0 Kudos
maxmoro
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 16 (2,030 Views)

Re: GE 31591 Phone - caught between Skype and GE.

The something happened to me, I went from Skype to GE several times for many hours with no avail. I canceled the service and let my credit card to deal with the dispute. I got my money back. And is not the first time I have problems with Skype refunding money when they must refund, because of unauthorized charges. I just explained to my credit card that I did not received the service for which I was charged. So try to contact your credit card so you can get your money back.
0 Kudos
marky06
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 16 (1,984 Views)

Althought I have followed all maxmoro`s steps, no contacts on my list.  Skype, please provide us solution.

0 Kudos
apln2911
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 16 (1,947 Views)

Hi apln2911,

Please be assured that your GE Phone is covered under a 12 month warranty and if the unit is deemed as defective, eBuyNow will reship them a new unit at no cost.

The GE 31591 Skype cordless phone, as with most other Skype enabled devices has a 200 contact capacity. If your Skype account has more than 200 contacts, the GE 31591 will not allow any contacts to download. If your Skype account has 200 or less contacts and still has trouble downloading, please follow the following steps:

• ensure your Skype account has 200 or less contacts (clean up your blocked users list)
• log off your Skype account from any other computer or device
• reset ALL phone settings (User’s manual pg. 60  ”Resetting the software>Reset all”)
• update the software on your phone (User’s manual pg. 59)
• sign into your Skype account on your phone
• allow 60-90 minutes for your contacts to upload (do not use your phone during this time)

If you already went over the above and are still unable to download your contact list, please contact our eBuyNow's Support team by visiting http://ebuynow.info/en/contact/ and one of our agents will gladly to assist you.

Best,

eBuyNow.Support.Pro

0 Kudos
eBuyNow_PRO
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 8 of 16 (1,904 Views)

I still can't believe the idiots at Skype responded like this to my complaint that I could not make calls from my Skype-GE phone. The number they say is in Romania, is my own local cell phone!

"We have checked on your account and it shows that you have been trying to call the number 40774XXXXX which is  phone number to Romania.

Please note that this not included on your Unlimited US & Canada 12 months subscription. That is the reason you were asked for Skype Credit when you attempted to make calls."

FOLLOWED BY A SECOND MESSAGE:

"We understand your concern with regards to your calls not going through as well as your GE Phone still not working for Skype. We will further help you on this.

In connection to your GE Phone, it is truly recommended that you call GE for support as they have all the tools in resolving your issues with GE.

Nevertheless, It is most likely that an invalid or incorrectly dialled number has been the cause of your failed calls. Please make sure that you include the international dialling code for every call you make, even local ones.

You can ensure the code is correct by selecting it from the dropdown list, rather than typing it in yourself.  To select an international dialling code, just click on the flag at the top of the dialling pad and select the country you want from the list."

These people have no inkling of what customer service means!

0 Kudos
rimaggio
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 16 (1,871 Views)

Hello Ebuynow_pro,

I followed all steps and nothing has changed.  The most curious thing is when I sign in with my wife Skype account login, it works perfectly, that means, the phone shows all contacts.  Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that there is no issue with the device - problem seems to be addressed to the software.

Kind regards,

apln2911

0 Kudos
apln2911
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 16 (1,861 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling