Re: GE 31591 Phone -- caught between Skype and GE.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

GE 31591 Phone -- caught between Skype and GE.

I have a significant problem with my new GE 31591 phone with respect to my contact list.   I am one of a number of people who share this problem.   The problem is that my Skype contact list (skypout and Skype users) does not download.  

Here's what I wrote to GE after they offered no solution other than to blame Skype and tell me to return the phone:

It's a two-way street, isn't it?   Since the Skype software runs on so many computers and even previous GE dect phones, I would say that this is somehow an interaction between

this specific phone and the Skype software --  not you OR them, but BOTH.   Isn't someone at GE even interested in why their phone isn't working correctly?
Instead of blaming, where is the person who can generate collaboration?   Someone higher up?    This is important to both your customers and people at Skype -- BOTH.   I'll happily yell at both companies to help get this straightened out.    Is there a manager I could talk to?   Returning the phone is, in my opinion, the WORST solution.
Matt Temple
============================================
HERE IS WHAT THE PEOPLE AT GE WROTE EARLIER.
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM, S2G - Support Services Group <support@s2g.net> wrote:

Update for Case #238400 - "Sent from Support Contact Form"

Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning your GE Communications device. 

Unfortunately Skype is the provider of the software updates, we only assist with troubleshooting the telephones. The telephone product may be defective if you have completed all troubleshooting steps provided and the issue remains. We suggest contacting the place of purchase for a replacement or refund,  we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  

HERE IS WHAT I WANT TO SAY TO SKYPE:

Now, to me, it's in the interest of both Skype and GE to ensure this product works -- it requires BOTH Skype and GE to debug this.   What I can't believe is that this product, mostly good, is ADVERTIZED on the Skype website, but that no one on Skype management seems interested enough to do anything about getting this miserable issue fixed.   If there's something inherently wrong with the phone design, they shouldn't be advertising.   If it's simply a matter of connecting with someone on the GE design team, why haven't they done so?   Come on guys, this is really minor league.   Get it together and get us a software update that works.   Sit down with the GE developers and give us a fix.

WHO IS LISTENING?

-- Matt Temple

Accepted Solution

by maxmoro

Solved

With great collaboration and support from Skype Support Center, GE Support center, and EBuynow I solved my problem about the contact list not downloaded to the GE phone.

Here is the process I did, hoping will help other people:

1) be sure the contact list on your Skype account is less than 200 entries (I also cleaned up the blocked users list, just in case)
2) log off your Skype account from any other computer or device (very important!)
3) upgrade firmware on the GE phone
4) reset ALL phone settings
5) re-enter user and password
6) whait 2 hours to be sure the contact list is fully downloaded

This process helped me to solve the problem, I've now all my contact listed on the phone's directory.

View solution in original post
heuristik
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 9 (2,040 Views)

Hi Matt

I am listening - I have the same problem.  Complete pain in the butt.  Please go ahead - post the note to skype as well.

0 Kudos
icapi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 9 (2,017 Views)

How do I post it to Skype, other than here?

0 Kudos
heuristik
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 9 (2,005 Views)

Yeah, fair point. let's hope they're listening
0 Kudos
icapi
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (2,003 Views)

I have bought this phone 2 days ago having the same problem: no contacts download. Using the same account all contacts OK with my Ipevi wifi phone !!
0 Kudos
Oliviero
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (1,960 Views)

Unfortunately, I don't think they are listening.  Neither of them.  I'm having a problem of a caller not being transferred to my forwarding number after a few rings.  It transfers after 12 rings -- not acceptable.  But, if works fine if the GE phone is signed out. 

No responses, no support. 

0 Kudos
Mtnguy
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 9 (1,825 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oddly, while I initially had no contacts showing up, after a while ONE contact appeared.  Only one Skype contact, and no others.  Very strange.  I wonder if the others will gradually appear?

***Is this a problem just some of us have, or is it working right for some people?***  Like, is trying to fix it futile, or no?

I spoke to GE about it today, as well as Skype.  They both just blamed each other and had no suggestions.  Not to say there might not be a fix to discover if they weren't busy fingerpointing.  I called both about my voicemail not working, and they pointed at each other, and later I went on to find the solution myself by just fiddling with the phone's settings.  I wish I could have back the couple of hours I blew being walked through tech support agents' scripts.  Skype did seem to care slightly more than GE did, for what it's worth, and did finally (after they'd already pasted the canned speech about contacting GE and I still wouldn't shut up and go away) give me a link to this forum, which has been very helpful.

0 Kudos
SockPuppet
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 9 (1,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solved

With great collaboration and support from Skype Support Center, GE Support center, and EBuynow I solved my problem about the contact list not downloaded to the GE phone.

Here is the process I did, hoping will help other people:

1) be sure the contact list on your Skype account is less than 200 entries (I also cleaned up the blocked users list, just in case)
2) log off your Skype account from any other computer or device (very important!)
3) upgrade firmware on the GE phone
4) reset ALL phone settings
5) re-enter user and password
6) whait 2 hours to be sure the contact list is fully downloaded

This process helped me to solve the problem, I've now all my contact listed on the phone's directory.

maxmoro
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (1,582 Views)

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1288
Message 9 of 9 (1,396 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling