Firewall Ports Needed for Skype ConnectMe Phone Ad...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Firewall Ports Needed for Skype ConnectMe Phone Adapter

Hello,

I've been searching all over the place.

Can someone provide me a list of outgoing ports that need to be open and any port forwarding inbound I need to setup on my firewall?  I am using a Sonicwall firewall.

I ocassionally receive a phone call and they can hear me, but I can't hear them.  I also do not get any caller ID.

HARDWARE VERSION: 0.8.us

SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.0.5.6

Also, this firmware sounds like it's out dated.  I haven't found a place to download or apply firmware.  This device has been on for 3 days.

sirdoug69
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 20 (7,167 Views)

Re: Firewall Ports Needed for Skype Connect Me Phone Adapter

[ Edited ]

It's going to be the same as the normal Skype client.  The biggest problem with the FreeTalk Connect Me network-wise is the fact that everything is set to automatic and no alternate configurations exist.  One quick solution is to just power cycle the device and see if that resolves the problem.  I also find that low quality speakerphones on the remote end can cause those same issues.  Generally speaking the lack of hearing someone on the other end is either call quality, internet connection, or firewall related.  

This support page covers the ports needed:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA148/which-ports-need-to-be-open-to-use-skype-for-windows-desktop

So your solution(s) would be (at least one of these):

1.  Enable UPNP on your router.  Some people don't like the security issues that can arise with UPNP, but it is still an option.

2.  TCP port range forwarding 1025-65535

3.  TCP port forwarding 80 and 443

As far as updates are concerned with the FreeTalk Connect Me, in my own tests:

1. It pulled several incremental updates from an HTTPS site over port 443 in a span of 1-3 days.

2.  The updates did not start at the specified time range, but within 4-6 hours of that time range.

3.  Updates were not executed if I used the FreeTalk Connect Me in any fashion.  So I would leave it alone for at least a 4-6 hour interval before I checked if the firmware was partially updated.

The latest release is still:  

SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.0.8.0

Once your firmware is successfully updated, the caller ID will function as it should.  The end user can't download/apply firmware manually to this device.  Which still makes no sense to me.  All it does is increase the failure rate of the device due to no viable solution existing.

It is also wise to assign a pseudo-static IP to your Freetalk Connect Me by specifying a DCHP assigned IP by it's MAC Address (a reservation).  This way you will always know where the device is and it will ensure your device complies with your port forwarding rules.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1488
Message 2 of 20 (7,157 Views)

techfreak wrote:

It's going to be the same as the normal Skype client.  The biggest problem with the FreeTalk Connect Me network-wise is the fact that everything is set to automatic and no alternate configurations exist.  One quick solution is to just power cycle the device and see if that resolves the problem.  I also find that low quality speakerphones on the remote end can cause those same issues.  Generally speaking the lack of hearing someone on the other end is either call quality, internet connection, or firewall related.  

This support page covers the ports needed:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA148/which-ports-need-to-be-open-to-use-skype-for-windows-desktop

So your solution(s) would be (at least one of these):

1.  Enable UPNP on your router.  Some people don't like the security issues that can arise with UPNP, but it is still an option.

2.  TCP port range forwarding 1025-65535

3.  TCP port forwarding 80 and 443

As far as updates are concerned with the FreeTalk Connect Me, in my own tests:

1. It pulled several incremental updates from an HTTPS site over port 443 in a span of 1-3 days.

2.  The updates did not start at the specified time range, but within 4-6 hours of that time range.

3.  Updates were not executed if I used the FreeTalk Connect Me in any fashion.  So I would leave it alone for at least a 4-6 hour interval before I checked if the firmware was partially updated.

The latest release is still:  

SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.0.8.0

Once your firmware is successfully updated, the caller ID will function as it should.  The end user can't download/apply firmware manually to this device.  Which still makes no sense to me.  All it does is increase the failure rate of the device due to no viable solution existing.

It is also wise to assign a pseudo-static IP to your Freetalk Connect Me by specifying a DCHP assigned IP by it's MAC Address (a reservation).  This way you will always know where the device is and it will ensure your device complies with your port forwarding rules.

I've had the device for 2-3 weeks and it has yet to update the firmware beyond 1.0.5.6 it came with.  Forwarded the ports, reserved it's IP, put in in the DMZ zone in my d-link so it's wide open and nothing.  It works, but not that well and without the firmware updates it's not viable.  I'm wondering if the device is no longer supported and thus the servers sending out updates are no longer functioning.  I know Freetalk support is non-existent.  Anybody got this to update recently?

DaDD
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 20 (7,135 Views)

[ Edited ]

I replaced my device in December.  The last slew of updates I got was on 12-6-2012.  As far as I can tell, the server that updated my box is still online.  I moved that box to several different nodes on my network just so I could monitor it and it still updated it just fine.  If you have the option on your router, you could try to adjust the port speed and see if that makes a difference. (10/100/1000 half/full/auto).  Also it's VERY important to make sure "Notify Me Before Upgrade" on the "System Settings" page is NOT checked.   With it checked, it's just a hurdle to you getting an update.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 20 (7,130 Views)

techfreak wrote:

I replaced my device in December.  The last slew of updates I got was on 12-6-2012.  As far as I can tell, the server that updated my box is still online.  I moved that box to several different nodes on my network just so I could monitor it and it still updated it just fine.  If you have the option on your router, you could try to adjust the port speed and see if that makes a difference. (10/100/1000 half/full/auto).  Also it's VERY important to make sure "Notify Me Before Upgrade" on the "System Settings" page is NOT checked.   With it checked, it's just a hurdle to you getting an update.

I did have Notify checked.  I can vary the WAN port speed (on auto).  Did a factory reset and unchecked Notify this time.  See what happens.  Why adjust the port speed?  Thanks for the info as it's hard to come by for this unit.  If you have anything else, router settings, etc. let me know.

DaDD
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 20 (7,118 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you're not having connectivity issues on the WAN side, I would not worry about it.  I was referring more to the LAN side.  Too many people get reliant on AUTO to work in all scenarios. Devices from different manufacturers when connected together, can behave quite differently.  They can go from not working at all (no connectivity) to not working at their prime (errors and delays).  It's always worth a try when a problem might be considered sporadic.  Unless your router has some odd MTU/restrictive setting, I don't believe there are many other changes to be made.  A few people have reset their routers back to their factory default in order to resolve odd issues.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 20 (7,105 Views)

Just to clarify, you want all theses ports allowed inbound?

Opening port 80 and 443 is asking for someone to hack my device.

2.  TCP port range forwarding 1025-65535

3.  TCP port forwarding 80 and 443 - (I don't think I will be opening this)

Did you notice what ports were used when they uploaded the firmware?

Note: The Skype client does not require any ports to be forwarded inbound.  They Skype client does have a setting that says to use port "33629" for incoming connections.  There is also a button for alternative ports 80 and 443 which is checked.  So if I follow your earlier statement, it shoulds like I only need TCP Forwarding inbound for port "tcp/33629".

Thanks for comments, keep it coming.

Note: I setup TCP forwarding for all the upper ports you mentioned.  I still have the notify for firmware updates "ON".  Still no firmware update yet.  I'll try to turn that feature off.

sirdoug69
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 20 (7,082 Views)

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.  While Skype may decide to operate on a specific port, the setting you mentioned is dynamic.  As in I have 5 clients running concurrently and that value differs on them all by default.  That static configuration does not exist on the FreeTalk Connect Me device.  Your comment on "hacking" holds true for everything.  Any time a port is not stealth it leads you open to"hacking".  If I needed my device updated, I would take down the firewall/DMZ it.  This would be a temporary situation.  What I suggest is a worse case scenario, connectivity may not need be bi-directional for firmware updates.  Any "download" that occurred was done across 443 (TLSv1).  Making the device more dynamically functional vs. more open to updates (no firewall/less latency, etc.) is 2 different things.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 20 (7,074 Views)

I really don't think Freetalk or whomever is running their servers are going to be sending out any updates. The product is apparently discontinued and is no longer supported. I got mine in November 2012 and within 4 days it had upgraded to 1.0.8.0 and worked great so I bought one for my Mom's house the first of this month. It has never upgraded. My unit malfunctioned middle of January and I could not get any support from Freetalk so I sent it back to Newegg and got a refund. Could not find a new unit on sale from Amazon or on Freetalk Connect site. Found a unit on eBay and received it and it fortunately had already received the 1.0.8.0 update and is working great so far. My Mom's unit has still not received and upgrade. It really is a shame because when upgraded and working it is a good product!

ddjqk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 20 (7,067 Views)

ddjqk wrote:

I really don't think Freetalk or whomever is running their servers are going to be sending out any updates. The product is apparently discontinued and is no longer supported. I got mine in November 2012 and within 4 days it had upgraded to 1.0.8.0 and worked great so I bought one for my Mom's house the first of this month. It has never upgraded. My unit malfunctioned middle of January and I could not get any support from Freetalk so I sent it back to Newegg and got a refund. Could not find a new unit on sale from Amazon or on Freetalk Connect site. Found a unit on eBay and received it and it fortunately had already received the 1.0.8.0 update and is working great so far. My Mom's unit has still not received and upgrade. It really is a shame because when upgraded and working it is a good product!

I'm inclined to agree with you based on my experience the past month with Ebuynow/Freetalk.  Mine has not updated, been on the network for weeks.  Also no response from tech support.  Made changes based on techfreak's suggestion here, but so far nothing.  He also said his last updated 12/6/12.  That's around the time Ebuynow/Freetalk started to fall apart.  I'll give it more time and wait to see if anymore info surfaces here.

DaDD
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 20 (7,059 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling