Do you need a webcam to do a video call?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Do you need a webcam to do a video call?

Do I need a webcam to make video calls on Skype?

trampper
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (361 Views)

Re: Do you need a webcam to do a video call?

I believe you need a webcam to initiate video calls.  The other party can initiate an audio/video call if they have a webcam.  They will be able to send you video while you will continue to send them only audio.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1125
Message 2 of 7 (349 Views)

What if you want to view incoming call/video, but not use your webcam/video.  I only want to send audio.
Any particular steps I need to take?

lalato10
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (328 Views)

A person decides whether to audio call you or video call you.  When you receive a call you decide whether you want to answer the call (audio) or answer with video.  You can change your mind anytime by toggling your video on/off.  

If you want calls to be answered automatically, you decide in the Skype Options, Advanced Call settings,  whether to just "Answer incoming calls automatically" (audio) or additionally "Start my video automatically when I am in a call".

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 7 (318 Views)

Thank you techfreak! :happy:
lalato10
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (306 Views)

So, do I need a webcam for my desktop to see other contacts? And do I need headphones to make the calls?

Coffeebandit
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (271 Views)

You do not need a webcam in order to participate in a video chat.  So if someone initiates a video chat, you will see them, but of course, they will not see you.  They can only hear you and read your IMs.  If you do not have headphones, your speakers will generally be your audio output device.  If you do not have speakers or any other audio output device, you will not hear them.  

If you want to converse with someone,  you will need a microphone.  Some computers have built-in mics, others do not.  Many people purchase headsets as they are a combination of headphone and mic.  So if a computer is lacking audio input/output devices, a headset resolves that issue.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 7 (240 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling