Re: Discontinuation of Desktop API & Skype Phone (...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Discontinuation of Desktop API & Skype Phone (RTX Dualphone)

Hi - can someone confirm that the Desktop API discontinuation will affect this phone?

Given I bought it from Skype it would be disappointing to put it mildly and politely

thanks

techfreak
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The RTX Dualphones ( 3088/4088 ) are standalone devices that don't rely on the Desktop API.  Unless you have some old version of the phone ( prior to the 3088 ) that needs to be tethered to a PC via USB with Skype running.  I am unaware if such a phone exists.

View solution in original post
draki
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (1,294 Views)

Re: Discontinuation of Desktop API & Skype Phone (RTX Dualphone)

[ Edited ]

The RTX Dualphones ( 3088/4088 ) are standalone devices that don't rely on the Desktop API.  Unless you have some old version of the phone ( prior to the 3088 ) that needs to be tethered to a PC via USB with Skype running.  I am unaware if such a phone exists.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1241
Message 2 of 6 (1,290 Views)

Having a Dualphone 3058 connected via USB cable to my computer, I wonder if it will still function?

Piolet
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 6 (943 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the RTX 3058 is in fact tethered to a PC via USB, then you should still be in luck.  It appears Skype still plans to maintain compatibility for hardware and call recording software.

As stated in this recent Skype blog:

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 6 (880 Views)

techfreak wrote:

If the RTX 3058 is in fact tethered to a PC via USB, then you should still be in luck.  It appears Skype still plans to maintain compatibility for hardware and call recording software.

As stated in this recent Skype blog:

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

I have desktop Skype & two phones for Skype; a Vtech 7100 and a Logitech Skype phone that are tethered to my PC via USB.  Manufacturers don't have any upgrades for them anymore but they are working fine on Windows 7. Am near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada.  I was quite upset when Skype announced their exe files would not work anymore come December 2013. Do I understand correctly that now these usb phones will be supported by desktop Skype?

renmart
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (765 Views)

That post seems to infer that devices of that nature will continue to operate.  So that leads me to believe partial Desktop API functionality will remain to maintain compatibility until possibly a better/replacement solution is created.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 6 (756 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling