Can I use the FREETalk phone adapter without a lan...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I use the FREETalk phone adapter without a landlines?

I have disconnected my landline service.  Can I receive skype call to my regular cordless phone handset with a FREETalk phone adapter and a Skype online number?

Thanks in advance any help. 

0 Kudos
achnk_53
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (514 Views)

Re: Can I use the FREETalk phone adapter without a landlines?

[ Edited ]

From the FREETALK FAQ http://shop.skype.com/phones/phone-adapters/connect-me/:

I only want to use my home phone adapter for Skype calls, must I connect my landline?

A landline is not required to use the home phone adapter for Skype. However Skype should not be considered as a replacement landline service.

The biggest issue is that Skype cannot be used for emergency calls.

sterler
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 29
Message 2 of 5 (507 Views)

HI Folks,

I could use the freeconnect adapter without using a landline. If the device doesnt show up in your network devices, you will need to find the IP address from your router, usually starts with 192.168.1.xx , so then you can do your setup with freeconnect and also sign into skype. 

Landline connection is required only for emergency purposes

Thanks

Deno

0 Kudos
denoboy
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (376 Views)

Sorry I meant freetalk

0 Kudos
denoboy
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (375 Views)

This is actually a really old thread.  The FreeTalk Connect Me can be used without a landline.  If you chose to use a landline for emergency purposes, there is nothing inherent to the device to filter local calls.

I was getting spammed on my local loop "Emergency line", after being told by my "no longer local telco" L2/L3 techs that receiving calls were impossible because I don't use their service.  I ended up rerouting my connection to a separate phoneline  that rings all hours of the night.  Setting my extra phone to "never ring" fixes that.  So now I have an active "never-ring" outbound emergency line.  

0 Kudos
techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1607
Message 5 of 5 (361 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling