Ask Skype: iOS Notifications & Presence

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Tourist
garz75
Automatic away after X minutes ?

I think there used to be (before version 4.17 ? 4.15 ?) an option in iOS Skype to automatically set the status to Away (and even logout completely) after the application had been in background for a given time. Has this option gone away completely or is it hidden in a configuration screen somewhere ?

Thank you in advance,

Routine Adventurer
niklicht
Re: Automatic away after X minutes ?
Yes, there used to be, and I agree we need that setting back!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Claudius
Kudos: 11,906
Solutions: 526

Indeed this feature has been removed together with the update of our statuses. We replaced the old "Online / Away / Do not Disturb / Offline" presence states by "Available / Not Available". We've heard feedback here on the Skype Community that users want more control on when they are shown as "Available".

Do I understand you correctly that you want the "Auto-change status after x minutes of inactivity" back to tackle that problem of being shown as "Available" while you are not in the app any more?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Routine Adventurer
niklicht
[ Edited ]

Hi there :happy:

We have seen that the latest updates of Skype brought back the control of one's online status and notifications settings. With the brand new commands one can also now do thinks like logging out of remote devices.
I imagine there is still a (big?) group of users who either don't want to - or can't figure out how to - bother with deliberately setting status='Not available', let alone logout or issue commands, on handheld devices when leaving them. For this group of people the ability to have the Skype client itself setting status='Not available' after a given amount of time of inactivity would be the solution, I believe.
I can see how this could collide with having push notifications allowed on that same handheld device. Status will be 'Not available' after some time of inactivity, but if push notifications are on, notifications will still arrive on the device. What is important, however, is that the person sending you a message *knows* you are 'Not available' and doesn't expect an immediate answer.
Worth thinking about I believe...

Tourist
garz75
[ Edited ]

Yes Marcus you understand correctly. I need to have control on my status on any device. I use skype to work with my colleagues and for supporting my customers, and I need them to know that I am away from my screen / unavailable after a certain time.

offline : => off hours

away: => busy or away from the screen. but I can take your text message and call you back...

I cant do that now when I use my phone. 

And yes niklicht being away on the phone after a certain time of  inactivity (ie app in the background or screen-locked for iOS) would still require for the notifications to be pushed to the device...

Thank you for your answer.

Tourist
garz75

marcus, followup question regarding the revamping of the status : What do you mean by : 

We replaced the old "Online / Away / Do not Disturb / Offline" presence states by "Available / Not Available".

On current versions of skype on iOS, MacOS and Windows, you can still set your status at "Online / Away / Do not Disturb / Offline" .... Does it mean that this new "Available / Not Available" "feature" is in the works for the next versions, and will be made available to the general public later, or that it has already been implemented on the server side, but not on the client side ? If it has been implemented on the server side, how do the old statusses map to the new ones ? I am a bit confused now...

BTW, there is another status... invisible....

Claudius
Kudos: 11,906
Solutions: 526

garz75 wrote:

On current versions of skype on iOS, MacOS and Windows, you can still set your status at "Online / Away / Do not Disturb / Offline" .... Does it mean that this new "Available / Not Available" "feature" is in the works for the next versions, and will be made available to the general public later, or that it has already been implemented on the server side, but not on the client side ? If it has been implemented on the server side, how do the old statusses map to the new ones ? 

Status mapping looks like this:

New Status (external / internal)Old Status
Available Online, Away
Not available / Invisible Do not disturb, Invisible, Offline

So different clients currently represent the same presence state of a contact differently.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Tourist
garz75

Is this new status thing a definitive move ? To use a technical term, this really s.cks for me :wink:

I understand that from the programming point of view, managing "Presence" or status with multiple states is a bit of a challence in multi-device, non-real time connected scenarios (iOS), but it is really important to me for my work.

I guess Skype is focussing more on personal communications, and let Lync address the business/corporate environments... too bad for small businesses who don't want to jump on the whole Office365 bandwagon...

Casual Tourist
t800

Hi

"Available" is really confusing. Most of my buddies think I'm online when in fact I'm not. When I close skype, or when the screen is locked, in other words - when skype goes to background, the status definetely needs to get changed at least to "Away". Messages still can be sent to me, but people will not think I ignore them.

Of course if there is any other skype client open and active, the status must be taken from it. E.g. when iphone is locked but I chat on PC or Mac, of course I'm online then.

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling