How do I exit/shut down Skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I exit/shut down Skype?

When I'm logged in, it seems Skype is running all the time taking up data usage, memory, and space in the status bar. Even if I uncheck "sign in automatically" and set it to go offline immediately, it still stays in the notice bar saying "offline", and if I accidentally click on it, it automatically logs me in again.

This is really annoying, while I do like using Skype, I do not want to use it 24/7, and I would like the program to exit when I don't plan on using it.

Right now the only way to exit Skype seems to be clicking on the Sign out button, which makes me enter my password again the next time I start Skype. Am I missing something or is that really the only way?

Thanks

ringo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 51 (23,817 Views)

Re: How do I exit/shut down Skype?

look for the Skype icon in the system tray, right-click then select Quit.  

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1662
Message 2 of 51 (23,811 Views)

I'm afraid I'm referring to the Android version so there's no right clicking or system tray around.
ringo
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 51 (23,799 Views)

there is no way to do that on 2.0.0.47, downgrade to 1.0 for normal usage
mkalex777
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 43
Message 4 of 51 (23,763 Views)

Thanks for confirming the need for downgrade.

That sucks, since 2.0.0.47 actually works quite sleekly on my phone, but not being able to exit the program without having to re-type my password next time is a huge headache. Here's to hoping the next version will that that fixed.

Downloading the old version now.

ringo
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 51 (23,753 Views)

Just change your status to offline when you don't want Skype to be active. Then you don't need to re-enter your password when you go back online. While offline Skype is inactive.

Ian
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 14
Message 6 of 51 (23,735 Views)

But that doesnt solve the problem of data use.. Many of us pay per byte data fees.. These data fees become massive when roaming. 

Its essential to be able to shut down the skype application while its not required. 

To say otherwise is pure insanity.. Does skype think no one roams or pays for the data ?? 

Even when you kill the app it keep respawning. Thats very bad ethics, a user must have shutdown command of the app. 

sefton
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 7 of 51 (23,720 Views)

skype design new way to quit skype, if you need quit skype, thed power off your phone. when you need skype again, then power on your skype. Try it, it is simple
mkalex777
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 43
Message 8 of 51 (23,712 Views)

If only it was so simple.. it then keeps restarting on phone boot. 

sefton
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 9 of 51 (23,699 Views)

It is not inactive when offline, it is still running taking power and memory.  Also, every time you switch networks you see the notifiction icon change, so it is definately 'on' and monitoring; probably using data at the same time.  Not good.  Why make it hard to exit? I will use it when I want to use it!  Annoying even in the Windows version that you make it hard to exit.  Keeping it running isn't going to make me use it more, it just pisses me off!

mkent_bim
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 10 of 51 (23,675 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling