DELETED!! Deleted Chat History on Android

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DELETED!! Deleted Chat History on Android

Hello, I hope this helps someone else.  I'm on a Galaxy S3 and had the issue where I could not delete the chat history.  I tired all of the "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache" solutions posted in the Community without success.  However, I found what appears to be a solution and hope this may help someone. 

My chat history was generated by chatting on my PC and when I switched to my phone, I could not delete the history.  Here's what I did:

From the PC I closed the conversation, went to Privacy and cleared the history from the PC.  The chat still remains on my phone.

On the phone I logged out of Skype, then went to Application Manager.  I did a "Force Stop" of the Skype application and then cleared the data.

After the Force Stop, I had to log back into the application.  Contacts were still there, but my chat history was FINALLY gone.

I hope this helps someone!  Good Luck!

bwm80128
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 48
Message 1 of 164 (127,024 Views)

Re: DELETED!! Deleted Chat History on Android

it doesnt work...:sad: galaxy s4 i am trying to find a solution last couple days...
Talat_Sen
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 164 (126,964 Views)

I have the galaxy s4 and it worked!!! thanks!!

LaQuetha
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 164 (126,677 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried this on my Galaxy S3, and it didn't work. I tried all the other remedies that others have suggested. One time I did this, and it did wipe out everything -- but only for about 10 minutes, and then the chat history reappeared, but it never worked again.

As a last resort, I unistalled it and reinstalled today. Guess what? It worked for ... you guessed it ... 10 minutes. The chat history is back.

I give up.

Tantrum
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 33
Message 4 of 164 (126,380 Views)

I have managed to delete my chat history as follows.  On the "Recent" tab in Skype app on my GS3, long press the name of the person.  menu pops up - select "Remove from Recent".  

JacktheLad
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 5 of 164 (126,329 Views)

JacktheLad wrote:

I have managed to delete my chat history as follows.  On the "Recent" tab in Skype app on my GS3, long press the name of the person.  menu pops up - select "Remove from Recent".  

I've done the "remove from recent;" however, when you return to the contact to start a new conversation, the old chat reappears! :speechless:

Tantrum
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 164 (126,292 Views)

Tantrum wrote:

JacktheLad wrote:

I've done the "remove from recent;" however, when you return to the contact to start a new conversation, the old chat reappears! :speechless:

IIt didn't come back for me.  In this case I am using a Microsoft account.  You can delete the history of all activity on Skype if you log in on a PC.  On the "Tools" menu-tab select "Options".  Then click on "IM and SMS" button down on the left.  In the section dealing with IMs that appears  on the right, you can see there is an area labelled "Keep history for".   You can select "No History", no record is kept after you save at the bottom.  Howver I do find that this keeps getting reset to "forever" quite regularly,  so needs revisiting from time to time.  The button that says clear history is the one that gets rid of all your activity recorded so far.  It also closes any open conversations. 

Try clearing history on the PC  as just described, then go to Android, and if any history still present, then clear the recent conversations as described above.  I regularly do this so maybe it's the key to making it permanent.

JacktheLad
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 7 of 164 (126,140 Views)

Try clearing history on the PC  as just described, then go to Android, and if any history still present, then clear the recent conversations as described above.

I do appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately, I have already cleared my PC history more times than I can count, and have it set to save "no history." I really and truly have tried every suggestion mentioned here. Cleared history of the PC Skype. On mobile: Removed conversations from Recent, Forced Stop, Cleared Cache, Cleared Data, Restarted, Unistalled, Reinstalled. It always comes back. Sigh.

Tantrum
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 164 (125,972 Views)

Hi everyone,

If you look around this community, you will find many people are frustrated by not being able to delete chat history on Android. A few people have found a way, but most of us cannot make it work even though we have tried everything that has been suggested or that has worked for others. I decided to ask the Skype team to look into it or tell me how to do it. I suggest you do the same. I think if enough people complain, they may address it. I don't believe they actually read these boards, so we need to take direct action. I don’t have high hopes that they will do anything, but you never know. Here is a link to support feedback. At the bottom where it asks, "Did this answer your question?", say NO and then describe the problem and what you want them to do about it.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12290/sending-instant-messages-with-skype-4-for-android-phones#3

BTW, you can delete a single message from a CURRENT conversation (see FAQ). Don't know if it stays deleted.

Tantrum
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 164 (125,966 Views)

HI I have searched loads of link and websites nothing did work I have to delete it anyway any option or anything you lovely people find out ?

:speechless:

jahanzebabrar1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 164 (125,711 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling