Continuous Static Noise during Voice Calls

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Continuous Static Noise during Voice Calls

I am having a problem making voice calls on my GS3 via Skype.

The person I'm calling hears only an incessant static noise which is very very loud. I tried dialing the Skype test call number and hear the same noise myself, so I guess this is not a network/connection problem. I am not sure if this is a phone-specific or even a ROM-specific  but I cannot figure out anyway to adjust mic settings either in Skype or in my OS. 

Also when I plug in my pair of headphones (with no mic), the static on the other side disappears and everything is crystal clear, which is even more weird to me.. I have tried the solution to degrading audio quality mentioned in the FAQ thread but to no avail. 

Anyone has similar problems?

Environment:

Android 4.1.2 Cyanogenmod 

Phone Model: SGH-I747

Skype 3.0.0.6181 

wynnsyt
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (13,281 Views)

Re: Continuous Static Noise during Voice Calls

Exact same setup/versions and problem here.  Glad to know about the headphone workaround, but it'd be very nice to see this work properly.  Fingers crossed for CM 10.1 to come out and work properly.

tralon02
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 10 (13,230 Views)

Sounds like some hardware issue. 

I had problems witht he other side hearing me clearly in the past.  Then when I changed to a different headphone with a different mike, everything cleared up and no more problems.

jojoskype
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 10 (13,221 Views)

Same everything. No sound at all with headphones plugged in. Did echo tests, nothing is heard not even the static. Was there a recent skype upgrade causing this?
kenpachi2009
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 10 (13,215 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found a temp fix.

Go to Android Market, disable automatic updating for skype (uncheck box)

dl.apktops.com/app/201208/Skype_2.9.0.315.apk

Download this file through your favorite method.  I sent the link to my phone via AIM (sent as a text).  Use your favorite method.   

My thoughts were right, a recent update broke the sound...

kenpachi2009
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (13,198 Views)

Sorry can't edit my response, download an install APK through any method you want to use.  

kenpachi2009
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (13,169 Views)

I had the same problem and updated the audio driver for my webcam/microphone and it seemed to fix the issue.  

pr1859
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (11,723 Views)

Same problem MotoBionic. Is just anoying it souns like sparks and when you have the phone on the ear

Feels like if your hairwill start on fire because of the sparks... I searched for this problem and there is no solution. I had tango, viber on my phone and they didnt do that noice same as when I talk on my regular line there is no noise... If you fixed the problem let me know because I use skype a lot...

wynnsyt wrote:

I am having a problem making voice calls on my GS3 via Skype.

The person I'm calling hears only an incessant static noise which is very very loud. I tried dialing the Skype test call number and hear the same noise myself, so I guess this is not a network/connection problem. I am not sure if this is a phone-specific or even a ROM-specific  but I cannot figure out anyway to adjust mic settings either in Skype or in my OS. 

Also when I plug in my pair of headphones (with no mic), the static on the other side disappears and everything is crystal clear, which is even more weird to me.. I have tried the solution to degrading audio quality mentioned in the FAQ thread but to no avail. 

Anyone has similar problems?

Environment:

Android 4.1.2 Cyanogenmod 

Phone Model: SGH-I747

Skype 3.0.0.6181 

Posted from Acer A210
Mancity1
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (11,618 Views)

how do you update audio?

new to tablet and skype, cant find tool bar or anything that helps me.

kd21
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (4,187 Views)

the only way that I can get a clear call on both ends of the conversation is if the room is totaly quiet at both ends. even then the people I am talking to complain of echo and intermitent silence. skype hardly ever works good

mrschelin
Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (1,275 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling