Connection problems on 3G - please help us

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connection problems on 3G - please help us

[ Edited ]

We've recently received more and more reports of Skype on Android unable to connect via 3G connection. As we did not change anything on our end we suspect that certain mobile providers in certain countries are trying to block Skype. The symptoms are:

• Skype does not connect at all on login when connected via 3G
  • Skype connects all fine when connected via WiFi

Please help us identifying possible candidates by reporting here if you encounter the same issue. BUT: Please check first if it's indeed this problem and not another one by testing if Skype still connects when connected via WiFi.

If you problem is calls or active connections dropping it's a different one and we are working on that as well. 

Please report "Country, Provider name" and I'll update the table below:

CountryProvider
UK Orange
UK T-Mobile
UK Virgin
... ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13419
Message 1 of 218 (14,708 Views)

Re: Connection problems on 3G - please help us

i think the bug is inside skype but there is NO problem on my galaxy young running v.1.0.0.569 on zain jordan
Posted from Opera Tablet on Android
yousef8824
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 415
Message 2 of 218 (14,608 Views)

My carrier is Sprint USA, 

I have noticed that calls will consistantly drop at the one hour mark, usually around one hour, to about one hour and three to five minutes.

bgattsek
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 218 (14,592 Views)

Thanks for your feedback. With this particular issue we are *not* looking for connections dropping, but Skype not connecting at all.
Thanks for your help.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13419
Message 4 of 218 (14,577 Views)

Provider: Orange

Skype is blocked by Orange.

The problem I have is exactly as you descrebed:

• Skype does not connect at all on login when connected via 3G
  • Skype connects all fine when connected via WiFi

I checked orange website and found that Skype calls over 3G networks are currently not allowed.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/432573

ahmadrasheed
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 218 (14,484 Views)

I have these problems exactly (Skype does not connect at all on login when connected via 3G but Skype but works completely fine when connected via WiFi). The error message that comes up when trying to connect on 3G: "Cannot connect to Skype. You cannot be signed in at this time. Please check your mobile network settings and try again."

Mobile provider: Orange. Country UK. 

I have tried clearing data, uninstalling and reinstalling but doesnt do anything to help.

shushiyeh
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 218 (14,467 Views)

The Problem is not related to the provider. I've installed with the same card Skype on my Sony Xperia. Now I bought a Samsung Galaxy SL GTI-9003. I downloaded the original Skype software as I did for the Xperia. Videocalls not possible with the Samsung - after connection the mobile phone boots. With Xperia no problems. My daughter has the Samsung Galaxy S II, same provider as mine. No problems with Video calls. I think the problem is on the OS of the mobile device
cd2500
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 7 of 218 (14,436 Views)

Our provider: 3 Austria
cd2500
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 218 (14,434 Views)

on the samsung you must upgrade to gingerbread
Posted from Opera Tablet on Android
yousef8824
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 415
Message 9 of 218 (14,430 Views)

Provider: orange
Phone: HTC desire s
I can not long on to Skype on my phone using mobile network although when I connect to the internet with my laptop using mobile network it will sign in on my pc. I can log in when connected to wi fi network with my phone no problem. My partner has a I-phone 4 on orange as he has no problems signing into Skype when connecting through mobile network. This would probably indicate it to being a problem with the android application.
Posted from HTC Desire S
myrakeay
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 218 (14,426 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling