skype app, contacts, and country codes (a list of ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

skype app, contacts, and country codes (a list of annoyances)

This is just a list of complaints about the application, and I would appreciate any assistance solving any of these problems (or perhaps some acknowledgement that they will be fixed in later versions of the android app).

I have skype set up as my default dialer (so when I use the normal dialer it actually uses skype). When I make a call to someone in my contacts list (contacts in phone, not skype contacts), it doesn't show their name along with the number, which is fairly annoying.

More annoying is that, for most of my contacts (again, contacts in phone, not skype app), I have only 10 digit numbers for them (I live in the US and most of my calls are to the US). So, if I try dialing those, I get an error saying that it needs the country code. Can I specify a default country code somehow?

Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Android 4.0.1

Wifi

Skype app version 2.6.0.95

davis5333
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 2 (1,147 Views)

Re: skype app, contacts, and country codes (a list of annoyances)

I have the same problem when I use Skype on my Thunderbolt.  I go to Call Phones, then I select the small phonebook icon near the top right of my screen, and I am presented with my standard list of Contacts from Google (not stored on SIM).  I use the search feature to type in a partial name, select the desired contact, and their phone number does appear in the Call Phones phone number window, but if I try to call I get the red circle with an exclamation point and the red box with msg "Wrong number Please include coutnry code (e.g. +44 1234567)".  If I manually edit the number to remove the +1, it still does not work. 

If I use the magnifying glass icon instead of the phonebook icon, I get a different kind of search window (slower, but it seems to work).  But I get the same result once I select the desired contact - a GREY box with the same msg about "Wrong number".

It's maddening.  I have to look up a number, try to memorize it, then leave the Contacts App and fire up Skype and then manually dial the number.  HELP.

damackay
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 2 (934 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling