Video calling on Asus Transformer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Video calling on Asus Transformer

Just downloaded the latest version of Skype. Requirements indicate Froyo 2.2 as a minimum. I'm using an Asus see Pad Transformer with Honeycomb. The video settings don't appear as options in the settings area. When do you expect to have a version that works across all Android tablets?
Claudius
Community Manager

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Video calling is working with the latest Skype for Android on both Asus Transformer and Transformer Prime.

View solution in original post
Posted from Generic Android
rs7831
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 110 (39,669 Views)

Re: Video calling on Asus Transformer

Unfortunately as the Eee pad has an Nvidia chipset you won't be able to perform videocalling as the hardware does not meet the technical requirements to enable Skype video calling.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13889
Message 2 of 110 (39,404 Views)

Was looking for an update on when skype would be available on the Eee pad and was surprised by your reply.

I had previously seen this on the Nvidia press centre

'NVIDIA demonstrated a prototype of Skype HD video calling on an Android tablet at its CES 2011 press conference. NVIDIA developed a reference implementation of HD video conferencing on Tegra 2-based tablets using SkypeKit. SkypeKit is a collection of software and APIs that allows virtually any Internet connected device to offer Skype voice and video calls. '

Posted Jan 05, 2011 (wont let me link article)

From the article at Nvidia it would seem that they had already created a prototype version of skype that did skype video calling on the tegra 2 chipsets. So it seems strange that Nvidia said it worked and you said its not possible due to hardware not meeting requirements.

Is it possible to just enable video calling on Tegra 2 chipsets and just say they are an unsupported platform and so are unsupported.

Rikongb
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 110 (39,378 Views)

My best guess: From the requirements for Android 2.2 Video I have taken the info that Neon Instruction set is required to support video, when this is valid in general, it looks that the skype code for video is based on this capability. Even if the NVidia chipset has enogh power and other means to do bothway video. 

knarfe
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 110 (39,291 Views)

Are there plans to support the nvidia chipset for video calling in the (near) future for Eee pad transformer?

psuchak
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 110 (39,260 Views)

Hi, I don't know how long ago these replies came out, or if you have already seen the last entry, but I have the same question as psuchak: "Are there plans to support the nvidia chipset for skype video calling in the (very very very near) future for Eee pad transformer (TF101)?
I mean, a good more than half the reason for buying it was to use the cameras for skype! Please let me know, as soon as you have good news! Thanks, Rick
gattart
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 110 (38,427 Views)

The general policy of Skype is not to comment on future roadmaps for it's projects.

Personally I think it makes sense to look into supporting these devices rather sooner than later as they are the ideal devices for having close video conversations with friends and family.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13889
Message 7 of 110 (38,297 Views)

Thanks for the reply to this issue, Claudius. It's good to see our concerns are heard.

I have an Asus Transformer and am hanging out for the day I can sit on the couch and Skype my friends and family via Skype.

JoelEade
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 110 (38,225 Views)

I'm also waiting on video calling for the Asus Transformer. Google Talk works fantastically for video calling, so I can only imagine that Skype could potentially work well, too. As it stands, Skype are potentially loosing customers to Google Talk by not supporting Honeycomb tablets.
jcwx86
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 110 (38,033 Views)

I have Asus Transformer to and can't believe that Skype have not enabled honeycomb tablets for video calling yet when they have done for some android devices that have not even got front facing camera's.
Deano
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 110 (37,919 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling