Skype on Android tablets

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype on Android tablets

I am interested in getting my first Android based Tablet. (Apple TOO EXPENSIVE)

Most likely one running an older version of Android as it is cheaper.

Most these are running 2.0 or 2.2 Froyo.

From what I am reading Skype won't work on most!

This concerns me.

Exactly what Android OS version will Skype wor,k on a Tablet?

jttundra07
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 36 (31,289 Views)

Re: Skype on Android tablets

I have the Samsung Galaxy (Android) and my Skype works great!  Better than on my Android phone actually!

hbumomma221
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 36 (31,139 Views)

Skype works on most devices with Android 2.x - If you want to use video calling though you should look for at least Android 2.3 or later.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13466
Message 3 of 36 (31,134 Views)

What version Android do you run?
0 Kudos
jttundra07
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 36 (31,129 Views)

Good point, yes I must have the full video capabilities. Also Reading much on the web as well as watch a few youtube vids, being careful of the year the video was uploaded I was wary of min version. I find most of the lower priced units run 2.2 and they all seem to only have voice. Do you have links to using skype on ver 2.3?
jttundra07
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 36 (31,129 Views)

As a paying customer, I just wish Skype would start to separate  Android tablets from Android phones and realize their growth potential.  Every try to plug in a laptop at Starbucks these days, they have removed most of the plugs in their stores or disabled them in many of their locations.  The longer battery life/lighter weight makes Android tablets ideal for such situations; typing into a tablet is hard enough- try composing a few pages on an iphone.   

Skype has yet to deliver a good working version for my Viewsonic Android tablet.  The voice only Beta versions work for a while but then they stop working which makes them unreliable at best.  

Android tabblets are a growth area that Skype needs to address directly.  Please do so soon before Google does and takes our payments to their service.

0 Kudos
chuk4
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 36 (31,103 Views)

Claudius says 2.3 or later, but my Xoom with 3.2 doesn't work with video calls, it worked with Skype version 2.5.0.108 but the last two updates have killed it.  And what I mean by that is if you start a video call you can see yourself, but as soon as the other person answers both videos go black and you can't hang up, you have to litrally kill the application.

So it may work on 2.3 and later just not Xoom?

0 Kudos
JonKong
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 36 (31,057 Views)

Motorola Xoom video call issues

[ Edited ]

JonKong: Did you try deleting the App's Appdata via Android Settings -> Apps? Then restart the device and try Skype again. We have a Xoom in house for testing and it does videocalling all fine.

Can you please also specify which Motorola Xoom hardware version your are using? And did you check if you can upgrade your Android to 4.0 "Icecream Sandwich"? It should be available for the Xoom since January.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13466
Message 8 of 36 (31,025 Views)

I have related issue with my new ASUS Transformer.  I uploaded the app and it works fine with a headset/mic plugged into the port.  However, there are no mic settings on the Skype App that I could find to allow me to use the onboard microphone built into the Transformer.  Is this coming in a newer version of the app?

0 Kudos
dmiller
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 36 (31,008 Views)

I have Skype for Android installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 that I bought in UAE. It works fine over WiFi but when I connect over 3G it signs me in but it doesn't show the status of my contacts and I show as being offline to them. What could the problem be? Appreciate any help.
Posted from Motorola Xoom
kooolpanda
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 36 (30,990 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling