Say Hello to Skype 3.0 for Android Tablets

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Say Hello to Skype 3.0 for Android Tablets

[ Edited ]

Today we're delighted to announce version 3.0 of Skype for Android. As long-standing Skype enthusiasts know, we're committed to making the Skype experience the best it can be, wherever you are and with whatever device you're using. With so many now using tablets to make video and voice calls with Skype, this latest version is optimized to scale to your tablet's bigger screen, so you can experience Skype on a larger display wherever you go.

From now on you can share the moment, a photo or a smile on the most popular Android tablets including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, the Google Nexus 7, Acer Iconia, Asus Transformer Prime, Motorola Xoom and Sony S. And with our redesigned look and feel, Skype looks great no matter what screen size you have - either on a smaller Android phone or the more spacious display of your tablet. Take a look at this video to get a taste.

Beyond that, get ready for a boost in audio quality. Skype for Android 3.0 adds support for our wideband audio codec, SILK. SILK was designed to capture the richness of human speech. It copes well with the often varying speeds of Internet connections, ensuring that the audio quality is always the best it can be. That way, Skype will deliver the best possible audio on your tablet, even with a shaky connection.
To hear the improvements in audio quality for yourself, listen to this short demo.

We're excited about these enhancements which are added to the long list of things you can already do on Skype including video calling, sending and receiving instant messages, sharing pictures, videos and files with anyone on your contact list, and making calls to mobiles and landlines worldwide at the amazingly low Skype rates.

You can download Skype 3.0 for Android from Google Play or simply scan the QR code below.

If you'd like to give us feedback, or get tips and tricks on how to make your experience with Skype even better, please do so here on the Skype Community.

QR Code Android.png

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 14237
Message 17 of 97 (10,949 Views)

Re: Say Hello to Skype 3.0 for Android Tablets

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 14237
Message 20 of 97 (2,176 Views)

Skype 3.0 ( 3.0.0.6181 ) for Android with new UI for Tablets released

This latest Skype for Android version is optimized to take advantage of the screen size of your Android device, so you can experience your favorite Skype features no matter what screen size you have - either on a smaller Android phone or the more spacious display of your tablet. 

New features:

• Microsoft Account login
  • IM with Messenger buddies
  • New UI for Android tablets
  • Wideband Silk audio codec support
  • Call auto-answer option

Skype 3.0 for Android is available to download from Google Play. We would like to hear your feedback. You can discuss what matters most to you on the Skype Support Network or leave a comment to this post.

More about the improvements:

• Login with Skype or Microsoft Account
    • You can sign into Skype on Android with both Skype and Microsoft accounts. You will need to merge your Microsoft and Skype accounts if you wish to see your Messenger and Skype contacts in one place.

• IM with Messenger buddies
    • Once your Skype and Microsoft accounts are merged, you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype.

• Tablet UI
    • This latest Skype for Android version is optimized to take advantage of the larger screen size of your Android device. For instance: contacts are displayed as large avatars in a grid layout allowing users to find contacts and conversations easily if you are on an Android tablet.

• Wideband Silk audio codec support
    • Skype for Android 3.0 features Skype's wideband audio codec, SILK. SILK copes well with the varying speeds of Internet connections, ensuring that the audio quality is always the best it can be. 

• Call auto-answer option
      • This version of Skype also includes an option to set your device to automatically answer incoming calls.

Source: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/android/
Milan86
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 28
Message 1 of 97 (11,227 Views)

Re: Skype 3.0 ( 3.0.0.6181 ) for Android with new UI for Tablets released

Really hope this one fixes the severe battery issues as it is what prevents me from really using skype in a mobile manner

tobiaas
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 59
Message 2 of 97 (11,215 Views)

Something very promising is at least that the data arrows no longer seem to blink when the phone is keylocked... by time I'll see if the battery now lasts...

0 Kudos
tobiaas
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 59
Message 3 of 97 (11,197 Views)

Hi, guys!

How did it happen that Skype can't be run in portrait mode now? Why did you do that? I've already gone crazy rotating my tablet over and over again when switching between apps

New design is great, but I'm pretty sure everyone needs an option to chose between portrait and landscape modes

Thank you, hope you understand me
HottDogg
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 32
Message 4 of 97 (11,193 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't want to be locked to landscape mode, this update sucks!

Is there some way to go back to the old version?

janne_b2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 25
Message 5 of 97 (11,132 Views)

Nice update.

I would have loved to see more user control on the camera input options. For example:
-letting the user choose a camera video resolution from a doesn'down to force a fixed resolution, or having him select that skype should decide it. All this from the settings menu. If it runs slow when using a user defined reolution, it'll be the users fault and he could always decide to change the setting to "let skype decide" if he wants it to be smoother.
-would also be nice if the user could have all the available camera options...brightness, color effects, etc.

BUG:
- when i switch from the front camera to the rear camera, it often switches to a blacks screena and no video is sent. Switching from rear to front and so forth doesn't always solve it. I sometimes need to enable/disable the camera before the rear camera works.

Cheers.
Posted from Acer A510
fcv
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 97 (11,113 Views)

I'd also like to see the possibility to hide (slide) the contact/conversation list, so that it can provide more realestate for the active conversation.
Posted from Acer A510
fcv
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 7 of 97 (11,101 Views)

hiya all

anyone know how to get out of Landscape on the Nexus 7 with the new update or how tro roll back to the previous version?

being stuck in landscape is not that useable while IM'ing...

KhaiJB
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 20
Message 8 of 97 (11,074 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling