No video calling on Nexus 7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

No video calling on Nexus 7

Hi,

I have a google nexus 7 with the latest versions of android (4.2.1) and skype (3.0.0.6181) but I can't get my video calling to work.

I've downloaded the camera launcher apps recommended in the skype community but none of these have changed anything. I get a black screen for a second when I try and start the video call but it reverts straight back to voice only calling. I can neither receive or send video.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the camera apps and skype and rebooted by tablet but it still won't work.

I can get voice calling to work and my camera is also working independently.

Please would you advise me on how to fix this?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
awwain
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (4,817 Views)

Re: No video calling on Nexus 7

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat. One of the reasons I bought the Nexus7 was that I travel a lot and thought, from the reviews, that talking to home and family would be a doddle on this Android device. I have yet to get it to work. Sound is OK, Video Not OK. Could someone from Skype say if there is a fix or is the primary problem with Google?

Anyone who actually has their Nexus7 & Skype Video working without problem would do us all a favour if they could say how they got it to work.

0 Kudos
GeePee
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 7 (4,689 Views)

Miracles do happen. Have done nothing new/changed no settings on my Nexus and tried to ring my family in Switzerland and strangely got a really good connection and good video picture - my d in l said it was better than my high tech home PC picture etc.  So, if it keeps on going like this, I shall be happy.  But very strange :wink:

0 Kudos
GeePee
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (4,663 Views)

Same problem here , please fix for us , its really important with me.
Posted from Toshiba AT200
0 Kudos
bapluoc82
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (4,494 Views)

I know how I felt before I got mine to work.  I havd no idea how I did it, but I will add a couple of things that may help.

1. When you open Skype on your Nexus7, there should be four icons in the top right of the screen: a video cam, a + sign, a phone and a vertical three dots.

2. In 'settings' from the Home screen of the Nexus, scroll down to Skype and see if there is anything there untoward. I simply have Contact with a tick beside it to enable cantacts to be 'synced'.

3. Do you have the Camcorder app installed as well as the camera? Mine is simply called 'Camcorder' version #1

4. I don't know if it has any bearing on the matter, but I also have Flash installed - without that, I could not play BBC iPlay or TV Catchup - which is even better than the BBC iPlayer.

I hope that at least one of the above may help. Please report back if it does, as that may help other people with the same problem.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
GeePee
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (4,484 Views)

Just found the fix that worked for me.

Open Skype.

Click on your 'Profile'

Click on the three vertical dots at top right of screen.

From the drop down box click 'Settings'

tap Voice and video calls

Tap the box against Enable Video calling so that a tick appears in the box.

0 Kudos
GeePee
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (4,462 Views)

Hi Everyone

I suddenly had the same problem on my Nexus 7 4.3.No video Icon.I can see the otherside and hear.

I just cleared Skype cache and data in applicatios.Resigned into Skype.

Glad to say it is working.

NRM

0 Kudos
NRM
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (2,563 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling