Error code 24 during re-installation

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Error code 24 during re-installation

I am facing the trouble during reinstallation of Skype on Samsung galaxy s3 android 4.1.2. I think system failed to uninstall skype which causing error during re-install, Skype version i am trying to install is 2.9.0.315.

prasad_is_onlin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 1 of 15 (21,747 Views)

Re: Error code 24 during re-installation

same problem with me.. did you find any solution? please share it to me thanks a lot!!!
clairetiri
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 15 (21,467 Views)

Someone else was having this issue and I replied the following, see if it helps you.

I used to mess around with my previous device a lot. Installing and reinstalling the same apps. During one of my many attempts at trying to reinstall some apps, I started getting the same errors. It happened for more than one app though. I realized it was only happening for apps I was trying to reinstall, not new ones. I did some research and found that sometimes Android leaves some data on your device that makes it think the app is still installed. Trying to reinstall it gives that error. I found the solution to be to go to the /data/data folder where your installed apps are located and delete the reference to the apps that you removed and can't reinstalled. Make sure the folder lcoation is the right one for your device. It might vary. I checked my phone and sure enough all the apps I had trouble with had listings in this folder. I deleted the listings and rebooted the unit. I was then able to reinstall all the apps that had been giving me trouble, including Skype. Using this method keeps you from having to factory reset the device in order to fix the error. This worked for me, try it and see if it helps. Also, this works for devices that have not been rooted. It says it works on rooted devices too but I personally did not try it myself. I wonder if you are having the same problem and if this would help you?

Sallybeagle
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 3 of 15 (21,452 Views)

Sallybeagle wrote:

Someone else was having this issue and I replied the following, see if it helps you.

I used to mess around with my previous device a lot. Installing and reinstalling the same apps. During one of my many attempts at trying to reinstall some apps, I started getting the same errors. It happened for more than one app though. I realized it was only happening for apps I was trying to reinstall, not new ones. I did some research and found that sometimes Android leaves some data on your device that makes it think the app is still installed. Trying to reinstall it gives that error. I found the solution to be to go to the /data/data folder where your installed apps are located and delete the reference to the apps that you removed and can't reinstalled. Make sure the folder lcoation is the right one for your device. It might vary. I checked my phone and sure enough all the apps I had trouble with had listings in this folder. I deleted the listings and rebooted the unit. I was then able to reinstall all the apps that had been giving me trouble, including Skype. Using this method keeps you from having to factory reset the device in order to fix the error. This worked for me, try it and see if it helps. Also, this works for devices that have not been rooted. It says it works on rooted devices too but I personally did not try it myself. I wonder if you are having the same problem and if this would help you?

I don't see a folder labeled as Skype so what files should I look for or what is the file extension?:sad:

0 Kudos
trespasskeys
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 15 (21,223 Views)

I also have the same problem. And I didn't see the skype folder either.
Posted from Samsung SGH-I727
0 Kudos
fisheds
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 15 (21,199 Views)

Me too cnt install aftr unistall.......error application shwing
Posted from Samsung GT-P3100
hiteshloveguru
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 15 (21,194 Views)

Ok, with so many different android appliances out in the market I simply do not have the time to give detailed instructions on each device. The reason some folks can't see all their folders is that depending on your device or android version, they are hidden. However, here are 4 tips that people give to help you that cover most devices. 

1) You can gain admin rights if you root your device. If you know how to do this, you would not be having problems with hidden files. Therefore, I would suggest you NOT try this. It can mess up your device if you don't know what you are doing. 

2) You can plug your device to your PC and set it to debugging mode. This will let you gain admin rights to the folders and you can delete the contents of the offending folder. This is not as dangerous as rooting the phone but you still need to be careful. Avoid doing this unless you know what to do.

3) On older versions, you can view the device contents when you plug it into a pc and change the folder permissions to view hidden files. This doesn't work if you have newer versions though but it doesn't hurt to try since it is really easy and takes less than a minute.

4) The easiest option would be to download an app that shows hidden files. There are a few, some better than others.

You can search all these options on youtube. They will even give you videos on how to do it.

I would reccommend you learn how to back up the data on your device though. Contacts, files, etc etc. If you save all your images and personal files on an external card, then just back up any data you need off your device. It is good practice in case you ever have something happen to your device. That way you can restore the phone and your data in case of emergency. Also, if you make a good back up, it would be very easy to restore your phone to factory conditions. Then reinstall any apps you need, (such as skype) and then restore all your backed up info from your back up.

There are many ways to do this. I have rooted my devices to play with them. However, I have all my info backed up. When I mess something up, or just want to clean up a messy device I just reset it to factory settings, install the apps I need and restore my backup data. How you decide to do it is up to you. Just remember this community is not real techie help support. If you mess something up, you won't get much help here with technical issues.

Good luck!

Posted from Samsung GT-N7100
Sallybeagle
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 7 of 15 (21,180 Views)

Thanks so much I will give this a try. I am just knowledgeable to be dangerous...we will see what happens! Thanks again for the feedback!!!
Posted from Acer A210
0 Kudos
trespasskeys
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (21,164 Views)

where do I find he data folder on Motorola photon q?
lubapm77
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 15 (19,902 Views)

I had this same problem. Here's how I fixed it:

1) I wanted to download an older version of Skype so I Googled "Skype APK" (.APK files are the installation files for Android apps).
2) That google search took me to androiddrawer.com where I was able to downloaded an older version of Skype from 2012 (version 2.8.0.920 to be exact, but I don't think that really makes a difference. You just need an old version of skype).
3) The file dowloaded to my PC, so I copied it over to a folder on my Android tablet using a USB cable. You could also download it straight to your Android device by doing the search from your device's web browser, or you could download it to your PC and send it to your device via bluetooth. How you get it to your Android device doesn't really make any difference. You just need the old .APK file on your device. 
4) From my Android tablet I used the "My Files" app browse to the folder in which I had saved the .apk file. "My Files" is a default app on every Android device, just look in your app drawer if you have never used it. It's in there.
5) Once I had located the .APK file for the older version of Skype I had just downloaded, I then clicked on it to run it. That started the installation of the old version of Skype.
6) On my device a window popped up which said "Complete action using" and then it gave me two different choices for the install. I could either  use the "Package Installer" or "Verify and Install". I don't know if everyone will have those two choices, but read on...
6) First I tried "Package Installer", but it crashed at the end of the install. So then I tried "Verify and Install". It installed perfectly. At the end it asked me if I wanted to open the app. I opened it and then it prompted me to log in. I forget the exact sequence at this point, but somewhere along the way it gave me an error message and crashed.
7) So then I went to the App Store (oops... I mean Google Play) and searched for Skype. It showed that it was already installed but the "Update" button was showing. This was good! I clicked "Update" and it reinstalled the most recent version of Skype! I logged in and it worked fine! Problem solved.

Hopefully this will help some others who have had the same problem. It seems like Skype would fix this little issue as common as it is.

Sam1966
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 10 of 15 (14,413 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling