How do I rename a contact?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How do I rename a contact?

This question is very simple. How do I rename a contact?

I know, right click on the contact and chose rename. The only problem is that there is no "rename-option" in the menu I get. The skype version I use is 6.1.73.129 with Swedish language. 

BosseS
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I wasn't able to rename my contacts, the reason was most likely that they were not Skype contacts but rather MSN contacts. The result was that when right-clicking the name there was no rename-option in the menu.

By accident, more or less, I found a way to rename the MSN contacts anyway.

If you open a conversation with someone in Skype, and then put your cursor above the name (inside the red marking in the picture) the small icon with the pen seen in the picture appears. If you click that pen you're able to rename the contact even if it is a MSN-contact.

How to rename a MSN contact

I added the solution here if someone else gets the same problem and happens to find this post.

/Bosse

View solution in original post
BosseS
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 9 (6,691 Views)

Re: How do I rename a contact? - How to rename a MSN contact

I wasn't able to rename my contacts, the reason was most likely that they were not Skype contacts but rather MSN contacts. The result was that when right-clicking the name there was no rename-option in the menu.

By accident, more or less, I found a way to rename the MSN contacts anyway.

If you open a conversation with someone in Skype, and then put your cursor above the name (inside the red marking in the picture) the small icon with the pen seen in the picture appears. If you click that pen you're able to rename the contact even if it is a MSN-contact.

How to rename a MSN contact

I added the solution here if someone else gets the same problem and happens to find this post.

/Bosse

BosseS
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 9 (6,684 Views)

Thanks for the tip Bosse - it really helped. A shame SKYPE can not make it work the way their own suppor side says it should be done.
tj-roman
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (6,303 Views)

I also noticed that contact name edit option accidentally by hovering the cursor over the name, but only in one account.  I tried to edit the same contact while in another account on another computer, and hovering revealed no edit option in one:

Skype Contact Name Edit Problem.jpg

As you can see from the two screen shots, the contact e-mail address is the same, but in the top one I can't edit the name.  Anyone have any insight on this?

BruceInIowa
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (5,890 Views)

It doesnt has such column for me to change the contact name. I tried to rename once and it works, however it disappeared after i login skype again... anyone can help???

Roosterbabe
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (5,806 Views)

i didnt have this option in the skype for editing msn contacts 

cptgreg
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (4,075 Views)

Re: How do I rename a contact?

VERSION 6.7 NOT WORKING, IT SEEMS A DOWNGRADE TO ME :sad:

Nsl2013
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (3,564 Views)

I am using the version 6.14 and for the Messenger contacts I have not find any option to rename the contact.

I also tried to change it using Skype for Mac, it worked locally in the Mac but didn`t rename when I connected using skype for Windows.

welysson
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (1,647 Views)

When I'm in a group chat I have tons of people I dont have or really want/need on my contact list but I need to assign them a name for clarity purposes. Come on Skype, give us a way to nickname these people!

againanotherone
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (919 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling